1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shaky legs? Runner duck.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by georgeee, May 9, 2016.

1. georgeee

georgeee New Egg

May 9, 2016
    Hello everyone!

I am a very proud new keeper of two very lovely runner ducks. One of my lovely girls who is much larger than the other keeps getting shaky legs? It isn't all the time only sometimes although she tends to plop down more than the other but other than this she is a super peepy happy duck. She stretches out tall, runs about, eats and drinks quite happily. They are between 4/5 weeks old and I've introduced grower pellets. Are shaky legs something to worry about?

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Are you providing extra niacin in their diet? They may not have been getting it where they were before. Chick food and normal grower food usually doesn't have enough niacin for ducklings.

3. georgeee

georgeee New Egg

May 9, 2016
    No not at present I've had a look online to buy some but struggling to work out exactly what they need. I'm in the UK and wasn't told to supplement them with it when we got them.

4. TiffaStar

TiffaStar Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2015
    You can use brewers yeast. NOT baking yeast. 1 tbsp. per cup of feed. I personally found it at a health store called GNC. But that is USA.

5. Jujubeans2008

Jujubeans2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
  6. neetabeamie

neetabeamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2014
    Teton City Idaho
    What is your dosage with nutritional yeast?
    With brewer's yeast it's 1 tab per cup of food.
    I know that nutritional yeast is more concentrated with nican so they don't need quite as much....

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  7. Jujubeans2008

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    I give them a couple of big pinches on their food. I don't have an actual "dosage" but it seems to be working. I'm still on the same four pack that I bought six weeks ago before getting ducklings. I'm on my second package. So I'll probably need to re-order every four months.

8. neetabeamie

neetabeamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2014
    Teton City Idaho
    how much food do you give them at a time? Is it about one cups worth?

9. Jujubeans2008

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    About a cup and a half of food at a time.

10. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Just to clarify, you only need to give supplemental niacin for the first 10 weeks of life. You don't need to add it to the food for adult ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by