Shamo - hen or cockerel?

Jillchristina

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 2, 2014
UK
Hello

Bought this bird last weekend as a three month old shamo hen. This one looks colourful for a hen and is more confident than the other shamo hens I bought at the same time. Have I bought a cockerel? How noisy are shamo cockerels generally? Thanks.

[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
With that coloring it's a cockerel. I can't answer the noise question as I have never had any.

My o shamo are not as loud as my breda cock but they are large birds so they have a deeper voice than standard roosters. My breda does not crow he bellows. Mine seem to crow a tad bit less than the regular flock but the volume is louder.

Many thanks for your replies. Yes, it's the only cockerel (unless another one has snuck in pretending to be a hen - I do hope not). Got my first Shamos a couple of months ago. Have read lots of different advice re. whether hens can live together or not, whether they can live with other breeds of hens etc. Currently all the hens are loose together in half my garden (hen area is approximately 30 feet by 20 feet). Can split it in half and separate the game hens from the non-game if need be. The first two shamo hens are the oldest - last years hatch I believe - and they had a go at the other hens on their first day but got put in their place by an outraged Brahama and Cream Legbar. They have behaved for the two months since then.

Back
Top Bottom