1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Shanty Town" My little city

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Grampa with chickens, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Grampa with chickens

Grampa with chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    Well, where do I start.............

For the last month or so, I have been rebuilding my runs and building coops. My flock had some make shift pens and as they started to multiply (as we all know) I decided it was time to try to do things the right way.

I needed to redo the runs and make them bigger. 3 runs measure 8' X 10"
    Dominiques run is 10' X 18' and my Turkey pen is 10' X 10'.

I used all recycled materials for the coops. Pallets and shipping crates supplied all the wood. Screws and hardware was the only things I had to buy. Of course, fencing and fence posts were bought too.

Whatcha all think?????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have one more that is in the process of being built as my turkeys are due to hatch May 3 so I have a little time yet. All coops have doors so everybody gets locked up at night. Eggs collecting is done outside of pens so no more crawling on my knees to get them. Being in Florida, my birds are out all day and I don't have to worry about them living in the coops for days. Only over night.

Thanks for looking

2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Wow!! Those are awesome!
    I wish I had a couple more coops to seperate breeds! [​IMG]

3. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    Very different, but I LOVE the idea if I had that kind of material and a husband that didn't want everythign to be perfect then I would have them.

4. They Call Me Pete

They Call Me Pete Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    CT
    Very nice [​IMG]

5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Very nice, I bet it is quite some work to attend to all this birds.

Omran

6. Grampa with chickens

Grampa with chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    It is not as much work as it use to be. I decided it was time to make things as easy as possible on me. Now egg collecting is a breeze. No more having to worry about escapees getting out of the make shift door.

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG] Very cute coops and name

8. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

You people are killing me [​IMG] . . . I want chickens, but you keep posting these wonderful chicken homes and I get faint [​IMG] just looking at them . . I have GOT to get busy and get mine started as soon as the weather permits. . .I can get ahold of those things you stack things on . . .to use as scrap, and look on craigslist for cheap lumber to finish them out!!! Great job!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Another ?. I notice you have yours up on concrete blocks, do you have issues with chickens or rats or some other fur bearing critter getting in under there and causing issues?

10. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

AWESOME! I want to do that, but DH says it wont work, I am going to show him that yes we can use crates and pallets to build the coop....

Is 8'x8' too big or too small for 30 chickens? Bear in mind that, 6-7 months its nice enough to be outside but they would e spending a good partion of 6-5 months inside most of the time...MN sucks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by