Shape of cage?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by GBov, May 23, 2010.

1. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    I have 24 eggs in the bator (woooohooooo) and enough wire to make a cage but am having a problem deciding the shape. I can go long and narrow or short and square.

What shape do they like better? I like long ones better because they are easier for me to move but keeping them happy is more important than my convenience.

My breeders are in the safety door section of the finch cage, its 5 x 4 x 8 ft high so lots of room for 12 quail. Although with the head room they are trying to fly [​IMG]

2. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    I'm building all of mine rectangle shaped (long and narrow) so I can put a partition in the middle (that can be hinged up or slid up through the top..........and will have two doors........one for each side if needed. It's sometimes handy to have a pen you can make two out of in a few seconds.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've got some that are 2'x2' square, then I've got some that are 2'x4' rectangle, they don't seem to care either way. Make it the way you want it, they'll adjust [​IMG]

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    The closer to a square you bulld, the more area you get with the same amount of wire, BUT If you get it too wide it get difficult to reach in if you need to. i have some 3 feet deep, and they are too deep to be able to reach the back without a lot of trouble. We are talking about building a larger group cage, but putting s couple of doors on both sides so there won't be any area out of reach.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by