share coop pics!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by windnleavesfarm, Aug 19, 2013.

1. windnleavesfarm

windnleavesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    central new york
    Share your coop pics! Im currently building an 8x12:) and half way done! Give me ideas for my next coop!?!?!?!

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is my first coop for my 6 chickens ( when they were still free ranging, later on I moved them to a bigger coop and satrted keeping them in a fenced area.

[​IMG]

This is an old coop or shed that was there before we moved in. The insides were leaking so we fixed that, added a fence, and finally put the chickens in the coop. Lately 2 trees fell on it so I will be using the smaller coop.
    [​IMG]
    This is a picture before we completely fixed the coop.

3. chicksquad

chicksquad New Egg

Jul 25, 2013
    [​IMG]

4. Krazzy

Krazzy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    Indiana
    [​IMG][​IMG]

this is the coop my family built this spring. its set up to house upto 22 chickens comfortably. it took a lot of weekends to build but its nice to see when i look out the window. we are proud of what we built =)

5. windnleavesfarm

Aug 13, 2013
    central new york
    what size is this coop?

6. Krazzy

Jun 27, 2013
    Indiana
    the coop is 12'x4' not counting the nesting box area. the run is 19'x12'. i let the flock free range whenever i feel it is safe. right now ive got 12 hens and a rooster.

7. windnleavesfarm

Aug 13, 2013
    central new york
    thats what i thought and you said you can fit 22 chickens in there? because im building an 8x12 and people say i can only hold 7 chickens in it. which i don't agree with but that is just me. it is very nice and big i like it a lot.[​IMG]

8. Krazzy

Jun 27, 2013
    Indiana
    thanks, i said 22 chickens comfortably, but that would honestly be pushing it in the winter. from what i understand chickens need a minimum of 2 square feet per bird in the coop alone. the more space the better. many people plan to have 4 square feet per bird witch in my opinion would be ideal. my chickens have a decent size run, and i let them free range almost every day so i feel okay with having less square feet per bird. my flock seems very healthy compared to most flocks i see in person.

9. windnleavesfarm

Aug 13, 2013
    central new york
    oh okay thank you! haha[​IMG]

10. Shaundeere

Shaundeere New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    Bauxite AR
    [​IMG] My cedar Wichita bantam coop. With all 1/2 hardware cloth and one concrete block deep in the grond. As soon as I put the expanding foam in the roof ridges it will be as snake proof as I can get it. The wire stopped the neighbors lab.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by