Share ideas please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jackhorn01, Mar 12, 2013.

1. jackhorn01

jackhorn01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    I am currently building a huge run for my birds. I am going to section off an area of it to grow the birds I have in the brooder until they are ready to mix with the big uns. I am looking for a very economical way to provide/make a shelter for them. I am trying not to make a nice elaborate coop since it is just a temporary growing pen. Ideas please!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How many chicks are there? If its not a large number, a dog house with a secure door would probably work. I see them on Craigslist for very cheap or free all the time. I've also used a dog crate with an old shower curtain over one end (and the top, as much as you can to keep the rain and such out) and hardware clothe to cover the rest of the open parts. Put in a wooden crate for some extra shelter, some roosts, a heat lamp.....instant chick house. Good luck!
    Nikki

3. jackhorn01

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    Well, I won't need the heat lamp, they will be all feathered and outta the brooding stage when I turn them loose in there, just need a set up to grow em in til they are ready to mix with the bigger ones. I am sectioning off an area of my new run. Just need a shelter, I like the dog house idea, that could work. Its 7 of em by the way, 3 buff orphingtons, 2 jersey giants, and 2 partridge rocks.

4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    How big is your main coop. I section off a part of my coop with a simple chicken wire wall framed with 2X3s. I put them in there at 5-6 wks, and they'll spend maybe another month or so in there until they are big enough. The rest of the hens see them everyday, and it's not so bad when the wall comes down. If you raise the youngsters with a separate coop, you will create (In their little chicken minds) mass confusion when you go to move them into the main coop. They will search and search for their missing "Home".
    Jack

5. jackhorn01

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    So they are around 2 months and some change old when you mix them? That sounds good. What do you use inside the area you fence off for them to use as a shelter?

6. jackhorn01

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    Nevermind, I see what you are saying now. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by