Share pics and weights of 3 week old chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sabz, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Sabz

Sabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Hi guys!

I know there was a December hatch a long, so a few of you should have 3 week old chicks right?

Would you share pictures, breed and weights if you have them?

I think 5 of my chicks are growing pretty fast. Being a cross between a meat chick and egg layer, I suppose they have more "meaties" in them..

Mine are all feathered except the head. The 6th chick is NOT growing fast! He is still yellow all over and he is starting to have feathers on the wings but.. nothing compared to the others.

So anyhow, I was wondering if really they are growing fast or I just don't remember the last hatch properly.

Happy new year also.

2. KittyKat3756

KittyKat3756 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2014
    Norfolk, UK
    On day 20 (end of the 3rd week) my large fowl Light Sussex who had a hatching weight of 38 grams were 175 grams.

The bantam Wyandottes were 145 grams, but I don't have a hatching weight for them as I got them as week old chicks.

Both of those are averages from all the birds in one or more hatch. I find it useful to know what to expect from hatches, so I've asked here before if anyone would be interested in doing a record-keeping-raise-a-long, but I didn't get any interest. I'd love to hear from anyone who wanted to join me!

3. Sabz

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Hi KittyKat!

Sorry, I forgot about this post :( Thanks for the weights of yours.
    Yes, a graphic of weight versus ages would be really fun. I think we can probably find it for a few breads on the web, like cornish and maybe leghorn (not sure since they are bread to eat, so I guess we don't care as much for the weight?!).

I will try to work on this, it makes a lot of sense :)

When I thought mine were growing fast, I think I forgot something. It seems like the body is fully feathered but they remain without feathers on the head for maybe two weeks after the body! Finally, today some are getting tubes on the head, so I expect by week 5 they will be all feathered :)

Mine will be 4 weeks old on friday. Already they want to perch, if I let the door open they'll perch on the side of the door lol. Yesterday I setup a branch inside the cage, but they are still afraid of it.

I can't believe that 4 weeks ago those things were EGGS! Nature is fascinating.

4. Angelicdragon

Angelicdragon Just Hatched

Jan 8, 2015
    Tasmania
    Hi :)
    I don't have weights but I do have pics. My chicks hatched late November. They were a few days old when I separated some out to hand rear and left some with mummy hen.
    I think my chickens may be slow growing though. I have no idea what breed they are as the only chook I can tell is my Isa Brown and the others I honestly don't know. The IB didn't have any chicks this year. I know the white chook in one of the pics is one of the mums and then there were 2 black and one multi-brown. Same rooster though.
    So pics, some are from November 26 and the bigger ones are today 9 January.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Angelicdragon

Angelicdragon Just Hatched

Jan 8, 2015
    Tasmania
    I hope that wasn't an overload of pics :( Let me know if so and I'll delete a fair few of them.

6. Sabz

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Haha no that's perfect!!

They look like mine :) My chick called "One" is very similar to your last picture. Pale yellowish-white color.

The little black one was very cute as a baby. What purpose will they serve? If you don't know the breed, you don't know if they are meaties or layers?

7. Tatiana110

Tatiana110 Chillin' With My Peeps

our 17 little beaked mouths are 3 weeks old today, and I weighted a few just now:

Ameraucana roo - 202 grams
    Barred Rock roo - 261 gram
    Welsummer roo - 153 grams
    Light Sussex roo - 220 grams
    Light Sussex hen - 185 grams
    Caramel Queen (hen) - 188 grams

The average weight is somewhere around 200 grams, except Welsummers, which are smaller.

The pictures are from 3 days ago (2.5 weeks old) -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tatiana

8. jessicaradcliff

jessicaradcliff New Egg

Jan 15, 2016
    My 3 Week old Leghorn Rooster weighs 7 ounces! :)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by