SHARE YOUR BEST VENISON RECIPES PLEASE!

The Farmers Wife

Songster
11 Years
Nov 8, 2008
NW Arkansas
The men in my family are avid hunters......So, obviously we eat a lot of healthy, lean Venison..... I would love to have some new dishes to share with my large family......... I haven't made jerky yet this year but, I am getting ready to...ugh.......such a job!.......but, everyone loves it~.....so it's a must........
We bought a commercial grinder this year..... so we will be taking a crack at doing our own processing.......... grinding everything except the tenderloins........unless I find a great recipe for a roast etc....

Anyone out there do your own processing of deer?..... Can you dry age them like we have our beef done?... If so, can you share your tips?.....It makes such a difference in the tenderness of our beef.....I would like to do the same with our Venison.... but our normal processor does not have the room to hang meat during deer season.. he just gets too many deer at once~

Looking forward to hearing from you all... I will gather a couple recipes and post them later today~
frow.gif

Hey Julie,

How many times have you heard someone say, "I don't like the taste of wild game meat." This opinion usually comes from someone who has never tasted wild game that has been correctly prepared and, most importantly, correctly cared for before it was cooked. My number one rule is for my husband to cool the meat as soon as possible and keep it clean. Dress game as soon as possible after it is killed; removing the viscera (internal organs) promotes initial cooling. This means, no, you cannot drive the 12 pt. around in the back of the truck showing everyone your trophy for the next two days. Anyway, I have tons of favorite venison receipes. This is my favorite because it is so easy.

"Venison Steak and Gravy"-
Venison Steak, sliced into thin strips
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 1/4 cups water
1 tablespoon beef or chicken bouillon granules
1 can mushrooms, drained
1 tablespoon flour
3/4 cup water

Brown steak in hot oil. Combine onions, water, and bouillon in a saucepan and boil till onions are tender; pou rover meat. Simmer till meat is done. Add mushrooms and heat. Combine flour and water and add to mixure. Cook until it thickens. Serve over egg noodles.

Julie, you could use the roast cut into strips vs. steaks. Also, somewhere I have a receipe for pecans rolled over a tenderloin and baked that is to die for!!

If you handle the meat right it can be some of the most tender meat you've ever had.

When DH gets a deer we always keep it iced down in a cooler for a week at the very least...usually closer to two weeks. We drain the melt water off each night and repack it with ice. This draws all the blood off the meat and tenderizes the meat to the point that you can cook a venison roast and cut the meat with a fork.

We never take our meat to a processor because it's very likely you won't get the deer you shot back. We don't trust them to keep track of which deer goes to which person...we cut and wrap the meat ourselves. DH has a saw with a clean blade that we keep just for meat.

Just the thought of it makes my mouth water.

My dad always aged venison in the basement & he always field dressed the deer so the viscera were taken out of it immediately.

Oooh, it was delicious. That's about all I ate growing up, because we were so poor after he had his heart attack.

Grandma put it on a cutting board and pounded the heck out of the steaks, rolled them in flour, and fried them up. The brown drippings were used to make gravy.

That is all my ALL TIME FAVORITE MEAL EVER - venison steak and taters.

(Big nostalgic sigh!!!!)

Take the tenderloin (some call the "back straps") and cut them into 1 inch thick, 2 inch by 2 inch squares.

What you'll need:

Casserole dish
Ke-babs (or however you spell that! :p )
Milk
Water
Dale's Steak Sauce
Bacon
Aluminum Foil
A barbecue grill
Large Bowl

What you do:

Take each piece of meat and wrap in bacon and stick on the ke-bab (or however you spell that)

Place the ke-babs (or however you spell that) into the casserole dish)

Make the marinade:
Depending on how many you're preparing you can adjust the ratio of the marinade to suit.

The ratio for the marinade is:

2 part water, 1 part milk, 1/2 part Dale's Steak Sauce

Once the marinade is prepared, pour into dish over the bacon wrapped meat, cover with foil and put in the fridge overnight.

When you're ready to cook it,

remove each ke-bab (or however you spell that) and wrap each one in foil individually. (this keeps them from drying out on the grill)

Grill until meat is done then remove the foil and allow them to brown. Watch for flames since the bacon grease will certainly cause it to flame up a bit. That shouldn't hurt anything unless you let it char.

Enjoy!! these things are so good you'd travel cross country to slap ya mama and ya mama-in-law too!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
We crock pot our elk and make sausage out of the deer meat. For the crock pot, I put in a package of dry ranch dressing mix, 3 heaping T. of brown gravy mix, 1 cup of red wine, water and carrots. Cook on low for 7 hours. Add spices as you like. You can also add more veggies later in the cooking. Game meat is very lean and with out much fat. In fact the fat tastes bad. So you must cook slow or sear hot and fast. Cubing steaks is also great! We cube steaks and then quick fry for sandwiches. It great.

my gram makes a roast in the crockpot and mixes onion soup, grape jelly and chilli sauce and put on top. Sounds weird but its sooo good.

Back
Top Bottom