1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Share your chicken treat recipes!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kiwi Chicky, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Kiwi Chicky

Kiwi Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Te Awamutu, NZ
    After reading about the Healthy Chicken Muffins, I am going to pick up the ingredients and make some for my girls!

do you have any other good treat recipes?
    So I can pick up the ingredients at the same time [​IMG]

2. max101

max101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    I read you can add baby food to the recipe as well. Vegable baby food more so than fruit ones as less sugar lol

3. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    There was a thread on here recently about home made baked poultry blocks that sounded really good.

4. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

I have enough problems coming up with ideas and time to cook for my human family!!

5. Tweeza

Tweeza Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    New England
    Quote:I'm in the same boat as you. My girls think the occasional leftover or the dropped chip or cheese ball is a treat or the core of an apple or pear. They're worse than the dogs at begging and trying to steal food from you. They act like they've never had a feeder full of food at all times and they're starving. They're free-ranged and when you open the door they come running!!

6. Chooksaurus

Chooksaurus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    NW WI
    Quote:That's funny! My daughter thought it was so great to bring the chickens treats at first, but now as soon as they see her or hear her voice, they mob the door of the run so much that she gets a little scared to go in. (She's 5)

We've had to "delicately" condition them to back off a little bit.

7. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Yeah, mine are getting very pushy, too. I do want them to be friendly but not down right needy.

I let mine out to free range yesterday and 2 started circling my chair and complaining because I didn't have any treats. Small feathered sharks!

8. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    My recipe:

Open a box of raisins
    Stand back and/or Run for your life!

9. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    The fence of the chicken run shares the fence of my veg. garden, so when I'm in the garden all they do is beg. They peck the fence when they are expecting a treat. It could be a tomato, piece of lettuce or a slug. Doesn't matter, they want it and expect it. Feathered sharks is right!! [​IMG]

10. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Here's how I make my chicken treats. Pick tomato or other overripe veg, tear or cut into sections, throw on ground!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by