1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Share Your favorite healthy chicken treats!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sunnysongbird, Aug 21, 2011.

1. sunnysongbird

sunnysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Hello, I was just wondering what sort of food/fruits/treats your chickens simply love to eat! My Silkies will eat anything, their favorites being worms, lettuce, and corn. They enjoy rice but it makes them sick, so I was wondering what healthy food your chickens love eating and I want to experiment with different fruits and vegetables and other feeds, so I thought this would be the best place for suggestions from other feather loving friends. Also, what healthy food do you suggest for roosters, and suggestions for laying hens? What food do your chickens hate? Thanks!

2. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Oatmeal <steel cut> cooked, melons, chicken casserole lol, apples, turkey scraps, cooked burger, leftover meats <not deli>, couscous, green leafy vegies, whole wheat spaghetti noodles <cooked>, various fruits, whole grain bread bits, rice....

Pretty much anything we eat here they can eat, we just do not give them avocado, high salt items, or high sugar items.

For an extra special treat, they get dried meal worms or tortillas <soft ones>.

The only thing they didn't like was the pumpkin last year. Everything else is fair game for my little garbage disposals....and it tastes better apparently if they can catch it themselves lol One caught a frog last night and was VERY proud of herself...it was gone before you could say a word.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Raisins! They are to die for. Along with dried cherries. My girls also love a mix of seeds I make for them consisting of scratch, mixed with black oil sunflower hearts, millet, dried fruits and nuts. I use that to lure them into the coop at night. [​IMG]

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    watermelon blueberries, corn on the cob peas cabbage tomatoes warm oatmeal on a cold morning any kind of greens they also like meat but dont get that too often as the dogs will get the leftovers from that, but throw a turkey carcass out and they will pick it clean in no time. They also love if I have a scab on my legs then I have to becareful or they will have it bleeding [​IMG] I know better then to be incapsitated out there. They would only find my bones. [​IMG]

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Watermelon and tomatoes are my flocks favs [​IMG] Oh and Peas!

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Whatever extras from the garden. Tomatoes, melon bits, watermelon bits, peppers, colored corn, etc.

7. TarainNC

TarainNC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    Mine love almost any leftovers. One of mine loves tomatoes, they all love any type of pasta. The other day the FOUGHT over my 4 year old's left over chicken nuggets. Seems so wrong, but it's the truth.

8. openheartnp

openheartnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Green Twp, NJ
    Believe it or not, plain yogurt is very good for them, too. And they love it!

9. urban-chick-mom

urban-chick-mom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    My girls love blueberries, strawberries,melon and tomatoes. They aren't too fond of lettuce, which surprised me. And they don't like meat. I guess I have vegetarians.

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Vegetarians who eat bugs. [​IMG] And at some point may have eaten or at least thought about eating eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by