Share your favorite stories and brag about chicks during 3 day wait

KinderKorner

Songster
10 Years
Mar 8, 2009
Southern Illinois
Gah! I have chicks due Saturday under a broody. And Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday in the bator. I'm about to go insane with waiting. Anyone want to talk about their favorite chickens, or share what breeds your hatching to help past the time?

I know what your going through I am waiting on 6 silkie eggs in the bator due to hatch Sat. I bought my incubator and wanted to try it out got 6 eggs from my fav silkie girls and poped them in the bator. All candled good through out incubation ran kinda high temps from 100 to 102. Last candling on day 18 before putting them into cartons done another candle and all looked good with good movment. Now I am going insain watching the bator every 10 to 15 mins..LOL NOTHING yet. Every time I look in or listen for some sounds I am always disapointed. I hear of others having early hatches and today is the beginging of day 20 and I am on pins and needles and to believe when these come out I am gonna do it again ANOTHER 21 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!

Currently my chickens are all free-range. My six coop and runs are being built. But I have a ton of different breeds right now all running together. And I will be fun to see what weird mixes I get.

For sure I will have a few EE/RIR & SLW/Brahma out of my favorite hen. Which will make some interesting looking chicks. Unfortunetly, the rooster died yesterday. These will be his first chicks. Which is strange cause his mommy died a few days before he hatched. And he was her only chick. :hmm Maybe they are passing it on. lol

I also have a EE/RIR, Brahma, EE, White Crested Polish roosters.

And Buff Orps, RIR, EE/RIR, EE's, Brahma, hens. (and any others I forgot)

I am so curious on what my chicks will look like. And as soon as they are born I will post pictures so everyone can help me guess breeds!
big_smile.png

Sounds like some wonderful mixes going to be some amazing mixes! Can't wait to see pics, at this moment I only own silkies. Mine only free range when I can watch them we are dog overload around here with the Neighbours dogs. So my girls/guys enjoy large runs but they always seem to love to free range. Its really rainy around here and they have went crazy digging up worms for the past 2 days. I always worry about them because they stand in the rain and get soaked..LOL White silkie hen looks yellow and brown now from dust baiting in mud..Crazy silkies!!!

I get to switch one of my batches into cartons as soon as I go to bed.
smile.png
I'm sooo excited. haha Hatching is so much fun. This is like my 5th time. I am always so impatient though the last few days. And I always want to go help the chicks too soon, if they don't pop out within like 6 hours. gah. must hold myseld back

Oh and when the peeping starts... I am sitting there staring at it for hours. Just waiting. I have to remember to go read a book or get out of the house for a while.

Quote:
So will i hear my little eggies peeping inside before they pip the shell? I have to admit i have had eggs hatch under broodies but never have I hatched any myself. This is my first time!

Yeah mine have always free ranged. But I am upgrading, and wanting to seriously start raising and breeding nice quailty chicks of various breeds. I've got 50 GLW, SLW, BLRW, Polish's of various colors, brahmas, and some other breeds growing up in my brooder coop right now. I can wait until they all start laying and I start selling hatching eggs.

I am going to start breeding silkies as soon as I get my current coops and breeds settled down. haha I've already taken on a ton of work as it is. So I have to remind myself to chill and do a little at a time.

Yes. Mine usually start cheeping 2 days - a few hours before they pip. When you hear voices, you know it's getting close. Thats about the time I am tearing my hair being anxious. lol

Don't worry. I believe I've had some pretty silent hatches before. Also your temp may not of been up high enough, they may be running a little late. Sometimes i will hear a peep then not hear one all day. And I think I just went crazy.
wink.png
The first time I hatched, I thought I heard a cheep so I jumped up to run and look into the bator for my first chick. It wasn't there, and I thought I was going crazy when I did the same thing about 10 times before I realized it was coming from inside the egg. haha

Back
Top Bottom