Share Your Hatch-a-long

FlCountryGirl

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 12, 2013
Punta Gorda, FL
I'm relatively new to incubating and have been doing tons of research. I recently put 25 eggs (SumatraxGLW, SumatraxSalmon Faverolle, Blue Sumatra) in my old-fashioned galvanized still air incubator on February 16th. I'm now on Day 14 and had to pull 6 with no development. The 19 left are on track at a comfy 100° and 30-40% humidity. I'm waiting for day 17 or 18 to crank up the humidity for lockdown. I'd love to hear your stories of hatching and incubating. With each post just fill out:
Breed your hatching:
Posted/bought/yours:
Type of Bator:
Progress:

Forgive me for jumping in!

I set some Blue/Black/Spash Ameraucana eggs in my Brinsea Friday night- so I'm on day 4.
They were shipped eggs from a breeder here on BYC- so I'm really nervous because I've never hatched shipped eggs before, and they all have some funky-shaped air sacs.
I did candle two of them last night, because I couldn't resist- on day 3, the two eggs already had some growth! Whoo!

Yay! So far I've only hatched one batch of eggs. They were shipped. I learned a bit too late that you should let them sit fat side up for a few days before setting. So I fretted & stressed the whole time. Then 5 out of 9 hatched. For my first try I counted it a success.

This is my second time hatching and the first that I've used my own eggs. We'll see how it goes. Glad you have some life. I refuse to candle mine until day 7. Now someone lock me out of the room until day 7!

Haha! Glad you have some development Chic_girl :) its so hard not to candle them lol. On day 17 so one more turn then lockdown and keeping my fingers crossed.

Oh, good luck with lockdown! I hope to see some lovely pictures to help me remain patient for the rest of the month- grrrrr, it'll be so hard!

I worried myself sick waiting for my shipped eggs to arrive- I kept imagining eggs smashed all over the box, detached air sacs, oh my! I'm just glad to know at least a few look alive at this point.

Oh, good luck with lockdown! I hope to see some lovely pictures to help me remain patient for the rest of the month- grrrrr, it'll be so hard!

I worried myself sick waiting for my shipped eggs to arrive- I kept imagining eggs smashed all over the box, detached air sacs, oh my! I'm just glad to know at least a few look alive at this point.

I hear ya lol I was thinking of shipping some eggs but the idea of smashed eggs and possible low fertility because of shipment have scared me away especially with how pricey some of the breeds I want are. Can't wait to find somebody pipping :) I'm sure you're hatch will be marvelous! What breed did you get, if I may ask?

Yay! So far I've only hatched one batch of eggs. They were shipped. I learned a bit too late that you should let them sit fat side up for a few days before setting. So I fretted & stressed the whole time. Then 5 out of 9 hatched. For my first try I counted it a success.

This is my second time hatching and the first that I've used my own eggs. We'll see how it goes. Glad you have some life. I refuse to candle mine until day 7. Now someone lock me out of the room until day 7!

This being my first hatch I know what you mean. That's a great accomplishment! :)

Day 5 for me!
I have black/blue/splash Ameraucanas cooking right now- I wanted *real* Ameraucanas, and the breeder's post here on BYC looked promising- I didn't realized they would be shipped from TX to OH! Well- they still arrived safely, but we'll wait and see if they hatch!

Back
Top Bottom