Share your hens' first ''nests''!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BirdNut, Nov 12, 2010.

1. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    When a pullet lays her first few eggs, they are inexperienced and often have a peculiar taste in what they think of as a good place to nest. Like Button, who wanted to nest next to the garbage can rather than in her nice new nest box. Or Opal, who wanted to lay under the pool pump. Share your pullet's hilarious first ''nest''! Pictures are fun, too!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. BirdNut

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Nobody? [​IMG]

3. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    Well yesterday I heard alot of chicken noises on the back porch, then we found a egg that was laid in a tote on top of a pair of jeans that didn't make it back in the house off the line.

4. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    This is something I would like to see also. But you haven't posted your own pic's. I don't have any yet.

5. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    My waterer and feeder are on top of 2 x 6" boards w/ a 6-8" brick holding them up. I found 5 eggs underneath them when I found they had layed for the first time!

6. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

On top of a bag of bedding the other ones got the idea and laid their first eggs in nesting boxes, but I do get the occasional egg laid in a nest on the floor.

7. BirdNut

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    I'll get pics soon, I think the nests have been fairly well preserved.

On a pair of jeans? That's funny.

8. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    No pics yet but I do have one BO hen that for the past few days has decided that she was going to lay on a hay bale. She hangs her back end off the hay bale and the egg falls and breaks open. And she only does this when there is another hen in the nest they made up there. So she really doesn't fit but she insists on getting up there anyway. [​IMG]

Makes my dogs happy though! They get to eat all the broken duck and chicken eggs for dinner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by