Share your info about hatching under a broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by caw555, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Broody

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Incubator

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. caw555

caw555 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    So I'm new to this hatching under a broody I've hatched in a bactor a couple times
    but never under a broody hen.
    I've got a bantam sitting on two lavender Orpington's and four Wyandotte's, she is currently on day
    2. And I've got a Dutch bantam kind of siting on two infertile leghorn eggs.
    To be honest I still think that she's deciding whether to or not.
    We separated the Dutch bantam and she's still pacing back and forth trying to get back to the other hens. So any help would be helpful even a story of someone's chickens just so I can get an idea of what I'm meant to be doing.

PS there is a poll so if you're not going to post would you please tick your preference thank you [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    All the broody hens that i have used to hatch have been top-ranking hens - that's a pre-cursor to how i have done things in the past. I have let the broody sit in a nest, no separation and no interference from me. I never had an issue with other hens laying in the nest, nor the broody being bullied off a nest or harassed in any way. After the hatch, I've removed the broody and chicks to ground level - sometimes in a wire crate (with food and water), and left the door to the crate open so momma can take the chicks out, if she so wishes, or keep them in the coop. After 2-3 days, momma always seemed to be happy to take the chicks out all day, but never stray far from the coop - at that time I would put the wire crate just outside the coop, for the chicks to eat and drink (and return the crate to the coop before dusk, so momma returned with the chicks before the rest of the flock). Depending on the hen, I would find the crate empty at around 6 weeks, and find her and the chicks roosting with the rest of the flock. Time to remove the crate and let them do their thing.

What i have learned is to trust a mother hen to make decisions - they rarely get it wrong

I'm merely sharing my experience and in no way suggesting it is how you should do things. Our set ups, climate, flock dynamics and personal preferences are all important variables.

One thing I would say is that having two broody hens at the same time can make things a bit dicey, once chicks are hatched. I have read that some mother hens can kill chicks from the other's hatch. Thorough planning would be necessary to keep both mothers and their chicks separate, whilst remaining with the main flock (helps integration of chicks and maintains the mommas' hierarchy within the flock). It's not something I would personally do, I'd break one of the broodies and then let just one bird hatch chicks at any one time.

Good luck with the hatch

3. caw555

Jan 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    Thank you Chris, the two broody's are separate so will your poll vote be broody?
    And I'm not sure that the Dutch bantam is eating because she has been pacing for 19 hours and looks about to drop any advice?

4. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    My vote is for incubator - only because one can set more eggs, and choose when to hatch. Watching a mother hen with chicks wondering around the garden is one of the best things to watch though!

I'd let your Dutch bantam back with the rest of the flock. If she goes 100% broody - no eggs needed, she will sit on fresh air [​IMG], then its up to you whether to give her eggs or break her (search "broody buster"). I used to give my broody hens two full nights sitting in the nest before giving them eggs (if thats what you choose to do).

5. caw555

Jan 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    I am so far on the bactor side but I'll have to wait till day 21 for the final decision and look up [​IMG] to the poll please.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    I voted [​IMG]

7. caw555

Jan 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    And that I agree with you Chris [​IMG] and thanks for the vote.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  8. caw555

Jan 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    On my threads I am going to try to put a poll in if I can.
    Because

NO POLL NO PEAPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
  10. caw555

Jan 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    Thanks Chris for the link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by