Share your inovative Ideas here!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mymilliefleur, Nov 14, 2014.

1. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    ~Hello everyone!
    Feel free to share your feeding and watering related idea's here!
    All posts are welcome!
    [​IMG]

2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Is it okay if I post an innovative idea that's not exactly food and water related but doesn't fit anywhere else?

3. mymilliefleur

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Shore!

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Okay, thanks! Then this is something I came up with in an emergency when our little 2 week old chick, Scout, got frostbite on both of his feet. After he was warmed, huge frostbite burns popped up on his feet. I knew I needed to get them soaking in Epsom Salts, but how to do that without soaking and chilling him further?

I spotted a glass scented candle on the fireplace and took the lid off it. It works perfectly - his feet go into the water but his body doesn't. And the plastic seal around the lid keeps him from sliding down into it. He loves his "hot tub". I tell folks it's like the cartoon character who's backside is on fire and he plunges it into a pond or barrel of rainwater......I swear every time I put him in I can almost hear the "ahhhh" coming from him. When he's done I wrap him in a clean washcloth that I've run through the dryer for a few minutes. He snuggles down into his warm "spa towel" and he's so relaxed he tolerates the rest of his treatment very well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. Flufflball

Flufflball New Egg

Nov 13, 2014
    How absolutely adorable! And practical, too. I was so surprised to find my big barred rock hen loving her epsom salt bath and not minding a hot blow dry, chickens must appreciate the finer things in life.

6. AlexxD

AlexxD Out Of The Brooder

Heeyy everyone!!

Here is my watering and feeding systems for my flock of four. 2 RIR 1 Silkie x Shaver (I think) and 1 Light Sussex.

Water:
    1 ten liter pail with a toilet float valve mounted inside. Two outlets mounted in the bottom of the bucket. One goes to three chook nipples inside the coop and the other one goes to three chook nipples around a tree trunk in the run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feeders:

I have one feeder inside the coop mounted to the side of my girls nesting box with roost and one outside under a shelter to protect from the weather

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The feeders are pvc spouting filled to the top with layer feed.

The only problem is the pesty sparrows eating the feed from the outside one.

Please let me know what yu think of my designs :)

1 person likes this.
  7. mymilliefleur

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    This is a very good idea. It will probably work for for feet injury's too, such as cuts and scrapes. Thanks for sharing!

8. mymilliefleur

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Good idea's! I'm thinking about doing some thing like this in my winter hoop house for my bantam's. Thank you for sharing!

9. Indoroowet

Indoroowet Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2014
    Nothern Utah
    Innovative ? Maybe yes, maybe no, because I think it was done before.

Many of us have this gnawing fear of freezing water for our flock.
    I saw this somewhere on Youtube, and made one.

The principle is here:
    [​IMG]
    The Aquarium heater: Aqueon 150 watts
    I know, big ... , but it stays on only until the water is at the set temperature which is the lowest setting on the heater ---> 65 F. It was on sale when I bought it at a way lesser price as now listed. Actually cheaper than the lower wattage units !
    Available from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C5TMU4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The circulating pump: Chinese made - who knows who made it ??
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OPKSC8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Just enough amount of water circulation to keep it going from one container to the other,
    in a dripping state that keeps the water surface rippling.
    Very low power requirement (3 watts = 250 mA), so any *walwart* 12 vdc - 500 mA, supply can run 24/7.
    Caution: The description says: Adjustable flow rate ...
    I have no idea how that is done on the pump I got from them ...

The base heater for drinking supply tub: A 15 watt solder Iron.
    Keeps the base just warm enough (I tested it in my shop and the top of the base, reached 110 F)
    I had an old one sitting in my tool box ...
    [​IMG]

Both heaters are plugged into a *Thermocube* which turns *on* at 35F and turns *off* at 45F.
    How close to the actual temperature (?), I do not know, but it works !
    The *on* at 35F, actually is a good choice, because it gives the heater time to warm up the water, before it gets to really freezing temperatures !
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006U2HD2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    The base heater is *on* during that time, and the aquarium heater is only *on* when the water is below the set temps.

The cooler: Coleman 28 quart
    The cooler, whatever you end up getting, must be able to accommodate the total length of the stick heater plus some power cord length. The heater must be completely submerged at all times !!

The cooler and the drinking tub, are connected with plugs:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DVWOIA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    and then a soft pliable hose between the two containers.

I do not have a *constant* supply of water to the cooler.
    No water supply, within 50 feet.
    So each time I checked for eggs, I also had a 1 gallon bottle of water
    with me, (milk jug), and filled up the cooler.
    I have found *over time* that I only need to check once a week.
    The total amount of water available is 6 gallons, and I only have 3 hens.

If there is a water supply available within a reasonable distance,
    you can add a swamp cooler float valve to the cooler.
    The water supply line from the faucet to the cooler,
    does need to be heated, else your water supply line will freeze!

We have had a few cold spells lately, and the water in the cooler is 68F.
    (Lowest setting of the aquarium heater)
    The water in the drinking tub is 42F.
    The water in the cooler gets heated once it *cools off* too much,
    and the water in the drinking tub cools off a few degrees more.

I have not received any complaints from the coop residents ...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by