Share your integration setup pics?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jennyf, Jan 9, 2017.

1. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    Anyone have pics handy of how they handle "look but don't touch"? Especially interested in coops with limited space. TIA!

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    I don't have any pictures sorry. But I do have a integration system that works fairly well if you'd like to hear it.

3. jennyf

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    Sure, that would be great, thanks. I love this site!

4. Flock Master64

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Ok so I have two pens or cages or whatever you have. I have two right next to each other. In one cage I have my flock and my other cage I have the chicken I'm trying to integrate. Keep them right next to each other so they can see each other and communicate with out get physical. At night keep the chicken you're trying to integrate in a pet carrier inside your chicken coop. That way your flock and chicken you're trying to integrate are always around each other and they won't get physical and hurt each other. If you do free range then let them all out together. Your flock and the chicken you're trying to integrate. But if you do free range keep a close eye on them. I can try and take some photos tomorrow if I remember. I hope that helps.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don’t have a coop with limited space, which can make your integration more challenging. I also have a lot of room outside, which also helps. I solved “look but don’t touch” by putting my brooder in the coop. This way the chicks grow up with the flock. I often just open the brooder door at five weeks and let them mingle with the flock. I’ve never lost a chick doing it this way but I have a lot of room.

[​IMG]

Sometimes I don’t just open the door at five weeks, sometimes I move them to my grow-out coop and run. That’s at the far end of my 12’ x 32’ main run so they can see each other. I also have a 45’ x 90’ area in electric netting so room is not cramped. That grow-out coop has a run with it that shares a fence with the main run and that electric netting area.

If your coop is too small to build anything inside it, you might build a separate new facility to house them. I find a separate place to isolate a chicken often comes in very handy. I made both my brooder and the grow-out coop with ½” hardware wire floors so they can be used as broody busters. For various reasons I’ve had to isolate a chicken from the main flock for a few days.

Since the inside of your coop should be pretty predator proof, if you build something in there it does not have to be that substantial. Lots of people do something temporary with chicken wire and lightweight stuff.

Good luck!

6. jennyf

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    Thank you both! I think I have it figured out--I can use the area under my coop as new chicks "run" blocked off from other chickens, and then manually move them to a dog kennel with a perch in it within the coop with the big girls at night. That could continue indefinitely as needed. I think I was overthinking it figuring I needed to build a new structure within the existing coop/run.

7. Flock Master64

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    That sounds like a great plan. I think it will work very well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by