Share your knowledge!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wisher1000, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I have several questions and I was hoping you wise BYCers would share your wisdom and experience! I have 6 White Crested Polish (now 5 weeks old) and 6 EE (now 6 weeks old, sold to me as Aracauna, but they're not.) All were straight runs. Now for the questions! First, do all chicks this age "spar" with one another? You know, run up to each other and spread neck feathers and bob heads with the occasional hop and feet fling? ALL of mine do and I am sooooo not wanting 12 roos! Next, at one week older, the EE's are way bigger than the Polish, are Polish slower growing, smaller, or did I get bantams? And lastly, at what age do these breeds become "feathered out"? They pretty much look like they are now but seem too young to me...but what do I know? lol On the EE's, one out of 6 has ear tufts and one looks like it may be rumpless although it has a scissor beak and may just have issues. The others either have smooth feathered heads or sort of Muffy beardy stuff. As for the Polish, 2 of the 6 have white chests, tails, and feet as well as 5 toes! What's the deal with them!?! I guess pictures are in order but any help will be appreciated.......

2. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    sorry I dont know but I will be watching

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    5 toes = not pure Polish. Something has been crossed into them- silky, faverolle, ?.

5. Captain Cluck

Captain Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Central Florida
    I have Ameracaunas crossed with Gold Laced Cochins. Some of my crosses are just now showing their muffs and beards at 18 weeks. Others were muffed and bearded from the get-go, and some have no muffs or beards at all, but are colored like the white ameracauna hens they came from.

I don't know if that helps, seeing as mine are "mutts".

6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Thanks for the replies!

Gritsar, I was thinking of turning off the lamps (they are outside in a covered but not enclosed run protected on 2 sides by a tarp with 2 60 watt clamp lights about 10 inches off the floor) Our weather has been warm for this time of year (70's days, 50's nights) and it may reach 80 tomorrow! There's a front coming through later in the week and we could have some light freezes. In your opinion, at their age, what temp should I consider it necesssary to turn them back on?

7. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    I doubt in freezing temps that there would be much heat generated from two 60 watt bulbs, unless the run was completely enclosed. With two ends open I would think the heat would dissipate rather quickly. The height of the roof would also be a factor, as heat rises.

8. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    My two hens "sparred" like that. I was told it was just play fighting that helps assert their dominance, and who is the "top hen".

9. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    As for the heating, there are different things to think about. Like previously stated, open ends let all the heat out. And when I talked to someone at the local feed store they told us that if we keep them heated, you have to do it all winter long or they will freeze. We have heating pads underneath the straw throughout the coop. And since our hens are leghorns, they are a more tropical breed and need the heat. SO... our chickens are not free range. They have a run they get to explore in, and it is protected from getting too much cold air with plastic. And, like I said, heating pads for winter warmth.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:We are experiencing much the same weather that y'all are having. However, it's supposed to rain here tomorrow (Thursday) and after that front passes through the temps. are supposed to get much more seasonal - 50s for highs, 20s for lows.

At some point, your chicks are going to need to be weaned off that heat, but now may not be the time to do it. If I understand your post right, you don't have an enclosed coop? (Only have a run?). Can you enclose your run more, either with more tarps or if hay is available and plentiful for you, hay bales can be stacked around the outside can go a long ways towards insulating and cutting the wind.

My concern is that your chicks are still young and still on their heat lamp. You may have to wait until the weather warms up again and they have some size on them before you turn it off for good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by