share your multiple pens setup/Need planning help for coop reno

Fiddlehead

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Western Mass
Hi, I am planning to build 2 additional coop/runs in the spring and would like to start getting the plans in order. My hubby will be building it, he is handy, but certainly not a master carpenter! I tried using Google sketch to give a picture reference, but I am terrible with it. My need is for 4 separate pens. My coop is separated into 2 pens with 2 runs. The only idea I can come up with is to build the exact same thing on the opposite side (like a mirror image) so that it looks like a square with 4 pens. Not sure if you all will be able get the idea, I am so horrible at this! I guess what I am asking is, does anyone have any interesting and practical ideas to create 4 pens and runs? Should I just expand/renovate the one I have to hold 4 separate pens? I will post more pics if necessary, but it is raining and muddy right now
sad.png

Thanks!

57283_coop2.jpg

Before we painted:
57283_dsc_0059.jpg

Last edited:
Do you want to use that coop as a shed? If you don't have anything particularly 'sheddy' you want to store, then I'd definitely work with what you've got. It also already gives you one wall, so you'd only need another 3. Plus, it wouldn't look out of place if you're just expanding.

Quote:
Initially, I built it just in case I changed my mind about chickens (hahaha) but I am not concerned about that any further. (Therefore I deleted the part about the shed so people don't think I want to keep it that way.) I need something that works better, a better set up. I have two separate runs and one entrance to the coop that doesn't have a setup that is conducive to easy cleaning and care. I wonder if people will share their multiple pen setups?

there is a plan in a book i have at home wich i find clever.. on one of the wall of the coop, there are 2 pop doors, and on the opposite wall, there are 2 pop doors too. the fence on the exterior is a square with the coop in the middle. I f you can picture it with bird's eye's view, you would seperate the square in 4 equal squares, so that each pop door would have access to one of those 4 squares...when you want your chickens in a particular run, you open that pop door and let the other ones closed. now i dont know if your goal is to let the vegetation grow back, or you rellay want 4 different coops and runs for 4 different flocks? With the plan I,m talking about, you could keep your coop, cut pop doors trhough the wall and make the new fencing...

Where is your 'human' entrance? Could you not build the extension a little bigger, then put a wide human door in the middle of the building, wide enough to get a wheelbarrow in, and have four pens that come off this central passage? You only need to cut new pop holes from each pen to their own run. You could also use the far end of the passgae for feed bins, mucking-out gear, etc.

Essentially, you'd have a small barn :)

Back
Top Bottom