Sharing knowledge

TeenDuckLady

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 15, 2014
East Texas
My school has a large elementary, and I was thinking about educating kids before Easter. Many people buy ducks and chickens and aren't prepared to take care of them. I feel like if I can talk to kids about how much fun they can be, if taken care of properly, I could help the ducklings and chicks that go to so many unsafe homes at Easter. How should I ask the principal about this concept that is SO important to me?

I have a 10 year old niece that was assigned an egg in one of her classes. I was surprised because she goes to a school in urban Orlando, FL. Apparently a local farm provides fertile eggs to the school which has an incubator in the classroom. The chicks are hatched and after a few days returned to the farm. The kids learn a little about life and responsibility. I think the kids have the option of keeping them, but most cannot because they live in the city. Still, an excellent introduction to things beyond the city and urban sprawl.

Sounds like a noble cause. I would also consider speaking to your local animal control services, they probably see an influx of rabbits and chicks after Easter along with black kittens after Halloween. They may be able to provide you with some guidance and resources.

Good luck,
Rich

I think that's an amazing idea! Thats actually how I came to raise chickens, my mom would do the egg-hatching lesson in her classroom but one day a kid came in saying he'd hatched some and his mom said she didn't want them once they "turned ugly". So, that's how we got Lemon Drop, Fuzz and Weirdo!

I was going to email the principal, but I decided it would be better to talk to him in person. I have always had chickens, and ducks have been a wonderful addition. I read that 90% of ducklings and chicks die after only a few days-weeks of being taken home. I really hope that I can decrease that # even if it is only by a little bit.

I was going to email the principal, but I decided it would be better to talk to him in person. I have always had chickens, and ducks have been a wonderful addition. I read that 90% of ducklings and chicks die after only a few days-weeks of being taken home. I really hope that I can decrease that # even if it is only by a little bit.
Every person who does something toward this end is a blessing. Some of us write letters to the editor, someone I know persuaded TSC to post a notice about not dumping ducklings . . . your approach would have direct impact.

Hey, keep us posted on the progress of this! I really want to start doing lectures about this issue and animals in general at some of the local schools, but since I don't have any kids and don't know any parents of kids that go to them, it's kinda awkward to just call the Superintendent up and make such a strange offer when I have zero ties to the school system.

clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom