Sharing our 2022, Chick Orders🐥🐤

Pics

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
Hello, what breeds are everyone getting this year?

I'm getting chicks from two different hatcheries this year.

Meyer's Hatchery:
2. Black Sumatra pullets

1. Salmon Faverolle pullet

1. Meal Maker chick

1. Easter Egger pullet

1. Green Queen pullet

1. Dark Brahma pullet

1. Light Brahma pullet

1 Buff Brahma pullet.

Cackle Hatchery:

5. Brassy Back OEGBs

5. Red JungleFowl

3. Saipan JungleFowl

I'll be ordering Turkeys too.

Hello, what breeds are everyone getting this year?

I'm getting chicks from two different hatcheries this year.

Meyer's Hatchery:
2. Black Sumatra pullets

1. Salmon Faverolle pullet

1. Meal Maker chick

1. Easter Egger pullet

1. Green Queen pullet

1. Dark Brahma pullet

1. Light Brahma pullet

1 Buff Brahma pullet.

Cackle Hatchery:

5. Brassy Back OEGBs

5. Red JungleFowl

3. Saipan JungleFowl

I'll be ordering Turkeys too.
Great choices! We got our chicks early this year (1 mix from our older flock, 1 blue orp, 3 green queens/EEs, 1 cream legbar, 1 frizzle EE, and 1 mystery chick that looks like a cochin cross). Are you going to be raising Turkeys as pets or for food? We have 2 turkeys that we keep as pets and they are very entertaining! One is a Bourbon red hen (Her name is Toffee, she gets jealous of the chickens when we hold them because she wants all the attention lol) and the other is a bronze tom that is HUGE (His name is Taco, and he is the sweetest!)

Great choices! We got our chicks early this year (1 mix from our older flock, 1 blue orp, 3 green queens/EEs, 1 cream legbar, 1 frizzle EE, and 1 mystery chick that looks like a cochin cross). Are you going to be raising Turkeys as pets or for food? We have 2 turkeys that we keep as pets and they are very entertaining! One is a Bourbon red hen (Her name is Toffee, she gets jealous of the chickens when we hold them because she wants all the attention lol) and the other is a bronze tom that is HUGE (His name is Taco, and he is the sweetest!)
I'm ordering some Heritage turkeys for friends, & us as pets. Also Broad Breasted Bronze for meat.

Ah, well you'll definitely enjoy their company! Do you have guinea fowl? Our guineas worship our turkeys and roosters 🤣. They are crazy little things.
We have 3 guineas left. 1 cock, & 2 hens. Our guinea cock seems to be sterile. Never gotten any fertile eggs from them.

Our Guineas are bullies. The cock shredded the feathers of one particular rooster really badly last year. Plus he tortured the BB Bronze turkeys we introduced into the coop. He only settled down abit after I locked him in a pen for a few days.

We have 3 guineas left. 1 cock, & 2 hens. Our guinea cock seems to be sterile. Never gotten any fertile eggs from them.

Our Guineas are bullies. The cock shredded the feathers of one particular rooster really badly last year. Plus he tortured the BB Bronze turkeys we introduced into the coop. He only settled down abit after I locked him in a pen for a few days.
Wow, we have 16 so they will squabble amongst themselves and leave our chickens for the most part alone. They like to group up and wander around our farm. Sorry that yours were being mean! We started out with 6 (5 males 1 hen, never caused any problems actually). Gave 3 eggs to a hen and hatched all three. Our cochin hen had 12 eggs I think but didn't do very well, only 2 made it to adulthood. Much later on our female guinea went broody but abandoned the eggs, so we stuck the 10 or so eggs under our broody hen. All hatched, 1 keet disappeared as a day old (a chicken may have gotten it.....), 2 jumped in a water bucket and drowned, and then one from the 3 died while trying to attack a hen (rushed her and then hit his head on our head elevator, pretty much died on impact).
Sorry, I got a bit off-topic :oops:

Wow, we have 16 so they will squabble amongst themselves and leave our chickens for the most part alone. They like to group up and wander around our farm. Sorry that yours were being mean! We started out with 6 (5 males 1 hen, never caused any problems actually). Gave 3 eggs to a hen and hatched all three. Our cochin hen had 12 eggs I think but didn't do very well, only 2 made it to adulthood. Much later on our female guinea went broody but abandoned the eggs, so we stuck the 10 or so eggs under our broody hen. All hatched, 1 keet disappeared as a day old (a chicken may have gotten it.....), 2 jumped in a water bucket and drowned, and then one from the 3 died while trying to attack a hen (rushed her and then hit his head on our head elevator, pretty much died on impact).
Sorry, I got a bit off-topic :oops:
We started with two, a pullet, & cock. The female some how got her big head stuck between the bars in a cage we were using for introduction, & died. That left us with the cock.

We bought 9 keets, I sexed them early as 3 males, & 6 females. We lost all 3 males, due too big fat turkeys squished them. That left our main cock with 6 hens. We butchered a couple hens, so that left 4 left. 1 got eaten by a hawk, or some other Raptor, & 1 got obese, & died, leaving the cock with officially 2 girls now.

Trying to come up with a way that DH will agree with me that I "need" some more chicks. My buff Orp roo is a butthead. I would love to get some Bielefelders... auto-sexing at hatch, pretty birds.

I would like to see what my roo crossed with my Jubilee Orp would look like. Jubilee hasn't started laying yet, dang it! She's 8 months old!

Back
Top Bottom