1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sharing the title of "Rooster"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Year of the Rooster, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I have a bunch of cockerels that I received from bantam straight run, 3 sebrights and 4 silkies. I'm only keeping one of each with the hens I have, there are 3 sebright hens and 3 silkie hens, and also 1 BA, 1 BR, 1 RIR, and 1 EE hen. Most of the time, i'll let all of then hens out and the two roosters that I am keeping. From what I've seen, the silkie roo I have chosen is more intent on mating with the pullets while the sebright seems more intent on keeping watching and "showing" them food. I've seen the sebright do a rooster dance now and again but he hasn't tried mounting or chasing them. These roos were raised together from day-olds, so is it possible that maybe they are sharing the role of rooster? Or is one just more dominant than the other? Just something I noticed while outside today.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    One will always be the Alpha no mater how subtle the difference is.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Even if you don't see it there is a pecking order. The lower males will mate the females if given a chance. Hatch enough eggs and you be surprised what you get. With 2 males freely mixed with your hens you can never be sure any hatching eggs will be pure for a particular breed.

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    So would this indicate that my silkie is the lower one? It's funny to watch him chase the sebright hens because the fly away before he can even catch them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by