Shark Meat-- Eat or Toss?

Redcatcher

Songster
9 Years
May 7, 2010
At My Desk!
I have never had shark meat before so when I saw some pre cooked marinated chunks on special at the store last night, I bought some. Now that I am researching shark meat online, I am reluctant to eat it. If the shark is not killed, bled and gutted immediately, the meat will have high concentrations of uric acid and will be toxic (kind of reminds me of blowfish). What bothers me was that it was marinated. Was it bad meat that was marinated to cover up the ammonia smell? I normally have a good sense of smell and taste but not having eaten shark before, and it being marinated, I am not so sure. I only paid $2 for it so I would not really be out a lot of money by tossing it. Not worth getting sick over.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. It was all that I needed. I ate the shark for supper and it was really good. I am sure I would have smelled ammonia when I reheated it if there had been a problem. No amount of marinating would have covered it that up.

eat it, if you get sick you can always sue the store.
wink.png

Toss it - right into a bowl with some lime juice, chili flakes, garlic, onion powder. Leave it in the fridge like that for 2 hours and wrape it up in a tortilla. Shark Ceviche!

Quote:
This same store had green potatoes on the discount shelf. Not just green but bright, lime green. Someone was going to get a bellyache if they could get past eating them. I would imagine they would have been bitter as all heck and toxic.

Back
Top Bottom