Shark steam cleaner??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pat1297, Nov 23, 2010.

1. pat1297

pat1297 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    orange park
    I saw a small portable shark steam cleaner today at Target for $90, so was wondering if anyone has an opinion about it. Would the portable steam cleaner do the trick in cleaning a small coop and roosts?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I suppose you could. (Be careful you don't peel the paint!)

However, a $1 dishpan and $1 scrub brush, and a rag and some warm water, will do just as good a job. Personally I'd rather use the other $88 for something else [​IMG]

(For dried-on crusty poo that does not wipe off easily, try laying a warm wrung-out-but-damp rag over it for a while, then the poo will come off very easily IME)

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. CountryFried

CountryFried Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2010
    SE AL
    I agree with Pat. I have a large parrot, and trust me when i say she manages to get poop all over the house. (She free-ranges, LOL)

I take a cloth and get it wet, wring it mostly out, and lay it on top of dried poop piles, and with a minimal amount of rubbing, it comes right up. I used to buy Poop-off, but honestly, this works better.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I know parrot owners who use these to clean all those bars on their bird cages. For something like that, a steam cleaner might make the job quicker, but I don't think you'd really need it for chicken roosts.

Plus, I don't think you really want to be adding moisture/humidity to your coop.

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    In order to get dried on poo off of my roost, I just give it a light sanding and rub some tea tree oil on it. Works like a charm and smells great. Learned that from Speckledhen, by the way.

6. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I use a wide putty knife used for joint compound applications. It is flat and scrapes up the poop right into a dust pan. Keep these on hand cause I have a few basement chickens that will not stay in their pens. So I go around scraping up the poo and spraying lysol...
    My hubby does not share in the joys of raising chickens. He moved his tools out of basement to a back room in the garage....[​IMG]

7. pat1297

pat1297 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    orange park
    I cleaned up the coop yesterday with a brush and putty knife. There were a few places that remain stained. I think I will go ahead and get a steam cleaner anyway. I bet it does the grout in tile floors good. I wonder how it does with soap scum and bathtub ring???

8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    we HAD a shark cleaner for the floor.. it was a waste of $$$$ it was flimsy and broke within a month

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by