1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sharkie Crocodile Snakie....a Girl or boy??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hens4thehudds, Oct 23, 2013.

1. hens4thehudds

hens4thehudds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    Here is my 10 week old olive egger... Sharkie is the black and gold one. ...
    I think it has a pea comb, but what is confusing me is that its comb is almost as red as my cockerel that is the same age. My other confirmed pullets are not even close to as red
    [​IMG]
    here he
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    What do you all think Girl or boy????

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Hmm.

I'm thinking female, I guess. The color is classic female, the legs are thin and the comb looks like a single row.

That said, the comb is very red for 10 weeks on a pullet, and there is that funky sickle looking tail feather.

I'm like 75% sure it's female. If it gets reddish patches of color on the shoulders, that will be your sign it's male.

3. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    Wow, thanks for the very thorough reply. So, red on the shoulder is characteristic for, the Maran or the Ameraucana? I will definitely be keeping a close eye on those shoulders, hopefully I won't have any surprises.[​IMG]

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    x2

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Red patches on the shoulder often mean that a bird is a rooster. Hens don't tend to get reddish, darker patches on their wings or shoulders. Especially with Easter Eggers, red patches mean rooster.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd say that you have a pullet, though the comb is rather red. Post some more photos in a few weeks, or if her color pattern changes.

7. hens4thehudds

Jul 7, 2011
    San Marcos, California
    I will Sharkie is 10 weeks, I will definitely post some more in Nov. I hope it is a little more clear then. Thanks again for the expert advise!!![​IMG]

8. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I vote girl too - I have an Easter Egger that looks almost identical to yours.

1 person likes this.
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Black copper Marans roosters get red on the wing, so do Easter eggers. It's a rooster characteristic in many breeds.

10. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I'll take one of her today - she is just beginning to molt a little but not too bad yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by