Sharp pointed egg?!

chickity-chick

Songster
May 1, 2020
Atlanta, GA
Hi all,
My pullet poppy just started laying and has been having trouble but today I got this egg today and it has a sharp point on the end, the shell is easy to crack and not as hard as it should be (I’m already trying to help this issue) however I have never NEVER seen anything like this before is this just that she’s a newbie layer and will figure it out? There is also a distinct circle with a different color around the point. I’m attaching a picture. What is this? Is this just a normal body getting used to laying thing?

Attachments

• FFB69279-755D-4B52-87B4-1BCDB5932C8A.jpeg
    FFB69279-755D-4B52-87B4-1BCDB5932C8A.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 38
  • BF418626-613A-4D75-947A-857C98A91F4B.jpeg
    BF418626-613A-4D75-947A-857C98A91F4B.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 14
  • D695AD6D-9883-4C90-9666-FE9595125AC1.jpeg
    D695AD6D-9883-4C90-9666-FE9595125AC1.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 15
Poor girl. That’s one heck of a blooper! Sometimes the issue is as simple as she is a young pullet, and her body is still getting the hang of things. However ensuring she is eating an adequate diet without too many treats is also important. Only one to two tablespoons of treats a day. Provide free choice calcium in the form of oyster shells, and you can add egg shells too but they don’t replace the oyster shells. You can feed them a layer feed, grower feed, or all-flock feed, as long as they still have the free choice calcium. There’s a good chance she’s just having some reproductive hiccups. Hopefully she straightens out soon!

Also if they are eating a whole grain feed, ensuring they aren’t picking out some parts and leaving others is important to a complete diet.

No layer feed yet but have free choice oyster shells and grit 24/7 I just have babies who are too young for layer in with them so have to wait a couple more weeks to switch them over
Oh as long as they have OS is good. It takes some time for them to realize that they need it in my opinion. I least I noticed that with my pullets. She’ll figure it out

Hi all,
My pullet poppy just started laying and has been having trouble but today I got this egg today and it has a sharp point on the end, the shell is easy to crack and not as hard as it should be (I’m already trying to help this issue) however I have never NEVER seen anything like this before is this just that she’s a newbie layer and will figure it out? There is also a distinct circle with a different color around the point. I’m attaching a picture. What is this? Is this just a normal body getting used to laying thing?
Pullets usually have issues with calcium when they start laying. Are you feeding layer feed and oyster shells on the side? That helps and also I crush the egg shells and feed them back to them. The egg shells are gone in minutes

Scratch and peck grower feed, free choice grit, free choice oyster shells, and occasional treats 3X a week of either just grubblie black soldier flies or spinitch, arugula, banana, tomato, raspberries/blueberries. But these treat days of a salad are rare and they mainly just get the black soldier fly larva every other day or so. I have one other pullet who just started laying about two months ago and I’ve gotten perfect eggs from her every time nice and hard and big and perfect. I really am worried for this pullet, Poppy’s health. When she started laying I gave her some tums when these problems started of soft shelled eggs but it was really hard and took a really long time. I did it for 4 days but I felt the stress that I was causing her was probably making it worse plus she was getting diarrhea pretty bad so I stopped that two days ago and am hoping she figures this out by her self. I’m just so worried!!
Lay off the spinach for awhile, it actually reduces calcium absorption?

Back
Top Bottom