Sharp shinned +1.25

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Invision, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County
    Even with 1/2" mesh over 1" chicken wire the little bugger managed to kill one of my females... left another with some head wounds. I do however find it Ironic that this is happening seeing how these birds will be used as food for a red tail in the next year or so...

oh well Guess I have to put a layer of 1/4" on ... Think it will be easier to just make another cage for them with smaller mesh...

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a red shouldered hawk that spends a lot of time trying to figure out how he's going to get one, he's persistent enough he may eventually figure it out too. It's really a never ending stream of predators trying to eat these little things. Birds of prey are one of the worst to deal with because there really is nothing you can do to stop them. You don't dare harm one, they have great lawyers, and its not like you can scare them away.

3. Invision

Jul 24, 2014
    Yeah I just find it funny, Im starting Falconry Next fall and these are going to be my food supply when hunting season is over. This is the second time he's attacked, but the first time he only nicked the back of a male that I was going to cull anyways. I also have a barred owl that finds them interesting but he only sits on top

of the coop and watches them, I think his legs wont fit. Sharp shinned is very small almost the same size as quail.
    [​IMG]
    "to the fish and game that is not my hand...."

1 person likes this.
  4. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    [​IMG]
    This beauty has been hunting at my backyard wild bird feeder for a couple years now. In the spring he brings young to teach them too. Love to watch him but sometimes wish he would go away and leave the birds alone but then again I sure enjoy watching his family too. Its just mother nature...sorry about your quail though.

5. Invision

Jul 24, 2014
    Coopers Hawk, they are a little larger I think. Also look almost Identical.

6. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    It took me weeks of photographing him to conclude he is indeed a Coopers not a Sharpy, but yes they are really close.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  7. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Owls are always a problem for me..... like a thief in the night, You can see the chukar about to die.....

[​IMG]

8. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Fat Daddy that pic was just [​IMG]

I had a roadrunner try to pull one of mine through 1/2 X 1. She just got some wing damage to the wing he got wedged through the wire, and she healed up fine even through it seemed she lost a lot of blood. It's amazing how they can heal sometimes. The roadrunner kept coming back but he was noisy enough that my terriers learned to chase him away if he got into the yard.

9. COsteveo

COsteveo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    Sharpies and coops are hard to differentiate without having a size reference.

I trapped my red-tail using two of my quail as bait and one was literally scared to death.

10. Invision

Jul 24, 2014
    Yeah that's what I plan on using mine for in a couple years, but think i will use 1/2" hardware cloth with 1/4" under it for my trap.

I'm thinking that's what happened to my female because I could find no puncture wounds at all on here, she had a little blood on her wing but nothing else. Think she just had a heart attack...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by