Shaver reds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by eldiablo, Feb 7, 2007.

1. eldiablo

eldiablo Out Of The Brooder

I recently purchased two beautiful shaver reds from a farmer at the swap meet. They are adults and I have yet to see any eggs. Is it becuase I haven't built them a coop yet or is it becuase I don't have a roo?

2. tnokie

tnokie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    Neither ssshould make a difference,Proably just stressed from move or just not in condition. Where are you,never heard of shaver reds!

3. eldiablo

I am guessing they are shaver reds. I found a picture online that looks like my girls. I did some research on shavrs and they are a branch of rir developed out of canada. They lay brown eggs and mine are so adorable. They follow me and eat out of my hands. I'm hooked for sure.

4. pegbo

pegbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Hi, Peg here. Those are definitely Shaver Reds. I have 6 hens and they are great layers. Give them a little time to adjust. My girls lay the largest medium brown egg of all my hens. They are very friendly and love being petted.

5. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Are Shaver Reds the same as Red Sex Links?
    They are very pretty girls!

6. pegbo

pegbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Terry, no shaver reds have a very pretty mottling of cream on their feathers. Some are speckled and some have very large patches of cream on them.

7. eldiablo

Yeah I love my girls. They are still a little scared of me but if I have food they love me. lately they have been doing this thing when I enter their run where they drop down and shake. It almost looks like they are having spasms. It only happens when I am in the run with them. Is this a tactic used to distracted from a nest?

8. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

They are becoming sexually mature and are submitting to you as the rooster :eek:. Which means you should see eggs pretty soon.[​IMG]

9. eldiablo

seriously? cuz I was getting worried they might be coming down with something. This is my first time raising chickens. I do remember growing up with my moms cats when they were in heat they would makes funny noises when I spoke is that kind of the same thing?

10. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, it's perfectly normal. I have observed it helps them get accepted into a flock. When they are young they get chased away by all the bigger chickens, but as the become mature and the rooster (if there is one) starts mating with them he will begin to protect them and they move up the pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by