1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

shavings and baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coachwife2004, Jan 24, 2009.

1. coachwife2004

coachwife2004 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Texas
    So I'm taking the plunge and will pick up my 5 baby cochins on Feb 5 I'm terrified!!! [​IMG] Is it ok to use plain paper in the bottom of the cage or do you have to have shavings? Anything else for my first few days would be great! Thanks

2. chasep

chasep Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2009
    id use pine shavings

3. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    Hello.

I use paper towels under my chicks for the first few days, until they find their food, then they don't eat as much of the shavings. Then I take out the paper towels and they kick the shavings everywhere and nuzzle in them!

I have used newspaper on my older pullets but it makes their feet black/gray. But you can't use newspaper under the chicks because it is too slippery and could cause spraddle leg.

4. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Place paper towels on top of the newspaper so the chicks want slip an slide on the slick paper. After a few days their legs will be strong and the paper will work fine. I would plan on using wood shavings after a while but DO NOT USE shavings with cedar in it. The fumes and oils can be toxic to chicks. Be sure when you take them out of the carton to dip their beaks into the water a couple of times so they will know where it is and can get their first drink.
    Good luck

5. wohneli

wohneli Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Gainesville
  6. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    [​IMG] Congratulations...you will make a fine chickiemomma, we are all backing you!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG]

Don't worry -- you can come back here at any time to ask questions!!! [​IMG]

Again, welcome!! [​IMG]

Cindy

8. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I'm a huge fan of paper towels, go for it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by