Shavings in the waterer

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MissChessy, Feb 14, 2008.

1. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    [​IMG]Anyone got problems with chicks scratching shavings into their waterer? I have my 1 week old chicks-15 of em' in a rubbermaid container, the large one and they keep scratching wood shavings in their water. I keep going in there to clean that water up. Any suggestions? Is it okay to use hay in their brooder? Wonder if that will stop some of the shavings getting in their water. I worry about them all night not having any water. I always clean that waterer out before I go to bed, by morning it is packed with wood shavings. HELP!:eek:

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I have them do that. Best thing is to raise it up. I use 2 bricks sometimes to keep it high enough where they can drink

3. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Yep, raising it up worked for me too. We used some scrap blocks of wood that were laying around.

4. Eryn

Eryn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I raise mine on a cardboard box, that way when it gets to poopy I just throw it out! You can see here the chickies I got today and how I have the water and food up on the box! I also use a box for a little house for them incase they want out of the light! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by