1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

shavings on back . . . what does she think she's doing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frankenchick, Sep 3, 2007.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Bianca, my 23 w/o NH, has been laying well -- usually an egg 5/7 days. But she does this funny thing: whether she's laid an egg or not, she'll sit in the nest box (tho not always the same one she laid in) and carefully lay wood shavings on her back. It's comical because it looks so deliberate.

Is this a broody thing?

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Our Turken did something like that, but then there was no egg! It was as if she were going to lay, but then she didn't. We use straw, not shavings, but she picked up pieces and gently tried to put them behind her. Many ended up on her back.

3. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    hey thats what our only laying hen does too!

4. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    lol all hens do this

5. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    Yep,All my hens sit in thier nest and gather straw,and throw it over their shoulders,some ending up on thier back.Mine usually do it before they lay thier egg.

6. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    that is weird...i wonder why they do that.

7. eggcetra_farms

eggcetra_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    That's just nesting. They're making their little nest to lay their egg in. It's where the "nesting" term for pregnant women comes from. Why they do it and don't lay an egg, however, I'm not sure. I've had mine sit there for over an hour making a perfect little nest and never lay an egg. Who knows? Chickens are strange.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You know how women get PMS once a month, for chickens that PMS must be the straw tossing... but daily.

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:They are making a nice cushion for the egg to land on.

10. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Bianca never did lay her egg in the box; I found it in the 10x10 pen when I went out this afternoon.

I think I'm going to have to leave them all in the coop on the days I sub so she has access to the boxes all day. Days off, I spend a lot of time down there letting them roam.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by