1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shavings or stall pellets?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bheila, Sep 10, 2008.

1. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I will be building my 1st coop in a few weeks and I would like to do the deep litter method. I am wondering which would work better. Pine shavings or stall pellets? I have a duck house that I use stall pellets in and it works great but its only for 8 ducks and only about 6'x8'. The coop that I'm going to be building will be about 10'x16' and will have about 50 chickens roosting in it. Any opinions would be appreciated.

2. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Pine shavings.

3. beaconite chicks

beaconite chicks Taking a time out

Jun 6, 2008
    Pine shavings. Dont use hay... if you were thinking about it.

4. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    I use chopped hay in my coop, why should I not use it? I also use hay in the nesting boxes.....

Cheri

5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Hay or straw?? big difference......

6. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I suppose I could use hay. It would be the cheapest way to go seems how that's how my husband and I make our living. We sell hay! I just hate how long it takes to clean up.

So nobody likes using stall pellets?

7. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I just don't see the sense in the pellets. the thing with hay though is they will eat it and will be prone to impacted crop. I would go with shavings. I also don't see a problem with straw. It really decomposes faster than shavings, but it will be a gloopy mess to shovel out in the spring.

8. orchidchick

orchidchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    Hi,
    I use the pellets and love them, but its for a 3' x 6 coop with only three hens. It's also a raised coop, and I just let them break down as they age as opposed to adding water because it's so humid here in Florida. If I had a walk in coop, I would worry about braking my neck!!!

If I had a coop as big as your new one with as many chickens as you plan on, I think I would use the pellets too, but just hit the walk areas lightly with the hose to get them to break down a bit so you don't slip.

I find when using the pellets for the deep litter method, as you stir things up, you have some pellets that aren't broken down and are still freshening things up as they break down. My coop never smells, even in the hot humid rainy days of summer using the deep litter method with the pellets.

Good luck!

9. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Hay gets wet and never really dries out.It gets moldy and can harbor micro-critters. Will

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Pine shavings with Food Grade DE sprinkled in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by