1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shavings Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicks Galore3, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I've been asking so many questions about my new chicks you'd think I've never done this before!!! NOW my question is...I went to get shavings for my chicks brooder. I usually get pine shavings but they were all out. They only had Aspen shavings. A quick look on BYC and I figured they were fine for chickens. I opened the bag (which was NOT see through) and they aren't like my usual shavings. The ones I usually get are actually SHAVINGS. Like, thin flaky pieces of wood. These look more like miniature toothpicks. Is that ok for chicks?

2. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Summerford

Summerford Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2014
    Smithville Ms
    Be very careful the chicks can eat those and it will not have a good ending. I'd clean it up and get something else.

4. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I usually cover the shavings for the first couple days...or do you think even when they are older they will be a problem?

5. Summerford

Summerford Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2014
    Smithville Ms
    It could be a problem. I know mine pick up the pine shavings and throw them around cause I find them in the waterer and feeder. But you know they might get curious and think it is food. I don't know if I'd chance it. But thats up to you. Covering them for a few days might work but who knows.

6. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Wow... that's odd.

I don't know if I would use those. The ones I use, I think they are called pine shavings too, but they look like this (random internet picture, I didn't actually take a picture of them...) :

[​IMG]

7. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Ok - I'll go ahead and change them out. Better to be safe then sorry! Thanks guys!

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'd take them back where you got them. that's a shabby excuse for shavings, no matter what kind of tree they came from. If consumers accept junk, that's what they'll continue to get.

9. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    x2 those are rubbish and I wouldn't put them in a coop with adult birds, let alone the chicks. Get them switched out for real shavings or get your money back.

10. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I already put some with the adult birds. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by