Shavings too exciting? Chicks can't settle down!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CritterHill, May 5, 2008.

1. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Well, the chicks are 8 days old, so I removed the paper towels today and they are having a party!

They are usually asleep by this time of night, but they are scratching and peeping and going nuts! Even though I pulled the towels out HOURS ago.

I hope they tire themselves out soon.

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    are you using pine shavings? cedar is toxic and can kill them and make them excited and run around..
    otherwise they are just having fun, with new stuff to pick at!

3. CritterHill

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Yep, yep says "quality pine bedding" right on the bag!

I turned out all the lights (except their heat lamp), that seemed to do the trick.

4. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I like to give them grass clippings, they love that too! They run around and one will get one piece of grass... even if there is a pile, all the chicks will chase that one chick with the blade of grass! They are so funny!

5. 55885100

55885100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    you now what you should try that my chicks realy like are pine neetls

6. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I've been doing a modified deep litter method for my brooder, and at 2 weeks I changed out all the old shavings for all new. OMG, it was like a chick bathing frenzy on drugs! I had to keep the water and food out of the brooder for about 30 minutes because they were throwing the fresh shavings everywhere. They were in chickie heaven and wore themselves out! It was sooo much fun to watch! [​IMG]

7. pookiethebear

pookiethebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Quote:We did that with a maggot and our week old RIRs. Oh my gosh what a hoot they were. DH dropped in 2 maggots and they were clueless about them, until they warmed up from the light and started wiggling around. BAM! One of the girls pounced on it and started running around the brooder "I got one, I got one!!!" They others chased after her and started a tug-o-war. They had some serious fun with those 2 maggots. When we move then to the basement to a bigger pen we will do it again and toss in a few maggots for them to play with.

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    These little peepers can be so funny! Did they ever settle down last night?!?! [​IMG]

9. CritterHill

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Quote:Eventually! They are still sleeping now though to make up for it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by