Shavings vs pellets

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jmtcmkb, Sep 27, 2011.

1. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I am getting new chicks this week, totally new to chickens. I just went to my local feeds store intending to purchase bedding pellets as I have read they are great. The woman looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for them, she then said I would really just use shavings [​IMG] so I bought shavings. Is there really much difference?

2. STLchicken-chick

STLchicken-chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    There is a pretty big difference. Shavings are a lot messier and more difficult if you want to keep them in a contained area. Pellets make less of a mess. When they get wet, they just turn to saw dust. Shavings, on the other hand, are probably more "comfortable" for the chickens. I guess it depends on your specific need and where/how you are going to use them. I have a lionhead rabbit that I have to use pellets for because shavings get stuck all in his fur. I use shavings for my chicken's nest box because Its nice and soft for them to lay on and provides more cushion for the egg once it's layed. Have you considered sand at all? That's the only thing I would ever use for the run. It's easy to clean, provides grit for the chickens, and dries out easily if it rains/gets wet. I'm not sure how well it would work in a coop though.

3. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Thanks for the info, I think I will go back and get some pellets- I do plan to use sand for the run, and I was convinced that pellets are the way to go until this sales person made me think otherwise!

4. lcammack

lcammack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    We have used pellets since the chicks were in the brooder. They work awesome. We now use them in the coop, but we do use the shavings for the nest boxes so they can more easily make there soft comfy nests. All you have to do is stir them around maybe 2 times a week and they will turn into this really nice soft sawdust and they really help keep the odor down. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by