Votes: 15 71.4%
  • Straw

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

Fanci Feathers Marans

Chicken Tender
Jun 26, 2017
Missouri
The shaving bales are shrinking! The shaving bales are shrinking! But the price remains the same. What's a body to do? Well, this girl has access to straw, which has much bigger bales at a much lower cost. However, it doesn't stay fresh as long, and I'm not sure it does it' job of drying as well. I was wondering if I chopped it up, if it would work better? How would I go about doing that? Are there any major disadvantages to straw?

I use it in my run because there isn't anything else that's cost effective where I live. It works well and definitely doesn't mat but I live in the desert and I do add water. If I was in a wetter climate I'd mix it with leaves and wood chips so it would have a variety of different size pieces/particles to prevent matting.

I have straw that I am using up from my goats. But here it does mat up and poo sits on the top of it while moisture may run straight through and soak the bottom of whatever.

My biggest issue with hay is... it attract rats and rats are chicken predators aside from possibly being vectors of disease and parasites.

Due to these two issues in addition to straw taking forever to break down and getting moldy are the reasons why I prefer shavings.

Plus if the hay gets wet and you don't realize, it can be rotten before you get to it. And that depletes savings. Also, I hate hauling the hay and moving they dang heavy bales in addition to having to have all that extra storage space. Cutting it smaller would be time consuming and to me time is money.

I agree shaving are getting expensive. You can always try it and see how it works for you. If you don't like it, don't use it again. :)

And don't buy your shaving at places like wally, they are much smaller bales for a higher price than most feed stores.

I have straw that I am using up from my goats. But here it does mat up and poo sits on the top of it while moisture may run straight through and soak the bottom of whatever.

My biggest issue with hay is... it attract rats and rats are chicken predators aside from possibly being vectors of disease and parasites.

Due to these two issues in addition to straw taking forever to break down and getting moldy are the reasons why I prefer shavings.

Plus if the hay gets wet and you don't realize, it can be rotten before you get to it. And that depletes savings. Also, I hate hauling the hay and moving they dang heavy bales in addition to having to have all that extra storage space. Cutting it smaller would be time consuming and to me time is money.

I agree shaving are getting expensive. You can always try it and see how it works for you. If you don't like it, don't use it again. :)

And don't buy your shaving at places like wally, they are much smaller bales for a higher price than most feed stores.
We actually make our own straw, so storage isn't an issue. :)

I use straw. One bale fills my 6x6 floor deep. I flip the straw every few days and it lasts a long time. When it's time to swap out my straw what's in the coop goes to the run. My chickens love scratching through it when its fresh. All in all I cannot say anything negative about it. Never used shavings it would cost tons more for me. I have used sand but went back to straw.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom