Shavings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by substandardtim, Jan 31, 2009.

1. substandardtim

substandardtim Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2009
    I couldn't figure out a specific forum to put this in so this is as close I can get.

I've seen pine shavings recommended on this site. Would other kinds of shavings really be a problem? We already buy shavings for our horses and I'd really rather not have to buy a separate kind of shavings just for the chickens.

The stuff we use for our horses is more akin to sawdust though so I don't know if that would be a problem.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Cedar shavings are the ones that you could have issues with, due to the natural oils causing respiratory problems.
    I prefer the large flake pine shavings. Never had a problem with them trying to eat them.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Oak shavings can mold and really cause problems too. Soft wood shavings would not hurt your horses either. Thats what I usually get. They are pine. jean

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I will bet you dollars to donuts the stuff you get for your horses is pine shavings already. If it is really sawdusty and fine and dusty it might not be so good for chicks (or, frankly, for horses)... but perhaps you could screen it and just use the coarser part of it, if you don't want to buy anythnig new.

I buy the same baled shavings for the horses and the chickens, and I think thats what most people using shavings do.

Good luck,

Pat

6. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    The shavings we used for the horses at every barn I have ever groomed at would also be fine for use with the chickens. It is also the same stuff that we plan on using in our new kennels with our dogs(and this summer puppies as well). Chances are your birds will do just fine with it.

7. substandardtim

substandardtim Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2009
    thanks for the info everyone.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other post. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by