1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

shavings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by davekrista, Nov 5, 2010.

1. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    My husband cleaned out the brooder and put shavings down. The ducks were eating it so I brought them over to their food. Will this hurt them?

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

It can compact them and they can die of it. Perhaps they are just trying it, which is normal. I usually don't let them see shavings until they are 3 weeks old. By then they know better and wont eat it.

3. Quacking

Quacking Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    I use a bath towel for the first one or two days until they learn where the food and water containers are, then switch to shavings. Its so much easier to tip out some shavings once or twice a day than have to wash poopy towels all the time. I also find shavings are better for their feet as they are more absorbant and the ducklings arent walking around on a wet towel all the time. They usually pick up a few shavings at first, but they chew on them rather than eat them. I havent ever had a problem using shavings they soon learn it isnt food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by