Shavings???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckLover179, Feb 7, 2011.

1. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    So I once saw a post saying it was okay to switch from puppy pads to shavings when the reach day three. I just thought that might be kind of soon, and I don't want to put their lives in danger (They are coming in 7 days). I am going to Kmart to buy some towels for holding them, should I buy some for bedding instead of shavings???

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Quacking

Quacking Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    I always make sure that any ducklings I brood know exactly where the food and water I put any shavings in. Ususally I dont use shavings until about 5 days old and I sometimes use some fine grass straw. I always place the food and water in the exact same locations. I find that this helps them to learn the difference between food and shavings. Of course they will still try to nibble on the shavings, but they rarely swallow any. As for the ducklings left outsude with the mother, they are constantly nibbling and testing items on the ground that arent food anyway: so I see shavings as a convenient bedding that is biodegradable rather than using puppy pads or having to frequently wash towels.
    Also towels that become damp stay damp whereas when they walk through the deep shavings they kind of turn them over a bit too. Of course they can become very waterlogged around the drinking water, but can be easily scooped out and replaced if you dont need to replace the whole brooder beding.

Hope this had helped to set your mind at ease over using shavings.

3. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Okay thanks! If they do eat the shaving should I switch back to puppy pads/towels???

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    IF they're actually eating them, then I would switch back.
    You know ducks are, though, they HAVE to taste everything, but most things they spit back out. [​IMG]

5. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    They can get a compacted crop from the shavings. This does not mean they will, but it can happen. I do not use shavings until they are moving out of the brooder at 2.5 weeks of age. I did line my box with a heavy plastic sheet, put a pee wee type pad onto it and cover it with towels. You just have to switch the towels and pads as needed. A cookie sheet with paper towels underneath the food and water help keeping it dryer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by