SHAVINGS ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cajunlizz, Jun 12, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I know pine savings are most commonly used , but does anyone know if other wood shavings CAN BE USED ?

Like Cypress ?

2. eastTNchick

eastTNchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Decatur, TN
    I do know that you can NOT use cedar. It is toxic to poultry.

I think cypress and aspen are safe, but I will not swear to that. Hopefully, someone else will know the answer to that.

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i use pine shaving stick with that i know its safe

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    My husband had a pile of firewood in our backyard. When he cut all of it I raked up all the chips and use them in the coop as bedding. We avoid cedar, but we've got a bit of everything in there - pine, maple, poplar, whatever!

5. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Aspen is fine, but Cypress I'm not familiar with...its it a sappy tree?

6. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    pine and cedar have oil in them , when the oil in them and if there is to much "dust" this oil can cause respiratory problems. I have never been able to find a legitimate study that discourage d the use of pine or cedar as a bedding material. I have used cedar for years and my birds seem to do fine (except when the dogs get them, but thats a different story).

Use of a litter material made from cotton waste, gypsum, and old newsprint for rearing broiler chickens.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Peanut hulls as a litter source for broiler breeder replacement pullets.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

7. gadzooke

gadzooke Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    Devore
    I'm a newbie and I use straw with my new chickies. I had paper towels down for a couple of days though. Is there any problem with straw?

8. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Quote:No there isn't. The thing is that it gets damp/gross really quick and yo have to change the bedding consantly.

9. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    The local feed store sold me a bag of cottonseed hulls to try. I find it is rather dusty. That, and it clumps when the chickens scratch. Each day there's a series of hillocks, frequently covering the waterer. Did I mention chickens are somewhat daft?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by