She came home!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nyna, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Nyna

Nyna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2007
    Western Montana
    Wow, you wouldn't believe it. Three weeks ago I had one of my year old girls just disappear during the middle of the day when they were free-ranging. No trace of her. No feathers no nothing. I called for her for about two days and finally gave up. I figured maybe a hawk snatched her up. I excepted the fact that she was gone. This Saturday I let the girls out to free-range, left on a quick errand and came back and low and behold there she was picking though the grass with the rest of them! I had to count and recount like 10 times! I couldn't believe it! She seemed a little smaller, but healthy looking! Isn't that crazy? We live on 4 acres and surrounded by a couple hundred ares of nothing but trees and rocks and predators! It is amazing she survived three weeks with no coup or anything. I wonder what happened to her! Crazy girl! At least she's home now! [​IMG]

2. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Seeeeeee, you never know! That is amazing that nothing got her![​IMG]

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Thats great!! She didnt bring home babies with her?? Shame on her! LOL Im sooo glad she is safe at home.

5. 6chix

6chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    Western Ma
    She was off on a vision quest!!

great news

6. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Since she was thinner it makes me think she was sitting on a nest but either her eggs were not fertile or maybe a preditor got them. Whatever. How wonderful she came home!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Nyna

Nyna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2007
    Western Montana
    I know, that's what I was thinking-that she sat on some eggs somewhere. I don't have a roo so that was just a waste of three weeks! I feel so bad that she sat there for so long and finally just gave up and abandoned her eggs. I just don't really want a rooster you know? maybe next spring I will get some fertile eggs for them to hatch. [​IMG] I bet you they will fight over them. I always see them sitting on top of each other in the nest that has eggs in it!

8. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Sorry, you're talking to the wrong person. I have 7 roos at the moment. [​IMG] I consider them my girls watch dog when their free ranging. Of course, each roo has his own girls and his own pen which gets kinda complicated. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  9. mommahento5

mommahento5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    South East Indiana
    YEAH!!!!! I am so glad she made it back!!!!![​IMG][​IMG]:weee:ya

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by