She can't be broody..right?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Southern28Chick, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I have an Ideal 236 breed (white leghorn) that keeps sitting on eggs. She doesn't say on them. And she won't go in the nest after I take the eggs out but if there's eggs in there she climbs in and moves the eggs really close together and sits on them. She'll sometimes stand up and move the eggs closer and tuck them under her breast. If I try to touch her while she's in the nest she pecks at me. I don't think that breed is supposed to be motherly, they're breed to be great layers not mothers.

I know she's not full on broody. Maybe she's just praticing. Or maybe she's a nut! [​IMG]

edited to add: She's sitting on an EE egg right now.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  2. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    I think it must be pretty normal. I have all sex links and they do that all the time too. I have actually watched them pick a nest that has eggs in it VS. one that does'nt. They lay on them and then lay their own egg. I know it can't be true broodyness (is that a word?) [​IMG] They hop right off if I have treats [​IMG]

3. MyPerfectChicken

MyPerfectChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    PA
    Sometimes our EEs do that with the golf balls, and yesterday(?) my sister found a double yoker underneath one of them!

They need to read some books! [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's not necessarily broody behavior. They all pull eggs underneath them and I have a few that will peck my hand if I reach in without holding their head down first. All other times, they are sweet birds. My only hen with broody tendencies will talk to me and actually raise up for me to look under her when she isn't in full broody mode, but when she is, watch out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by