She did it!!! My first broody ever hatched her first brood! Updated with pics!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iamcuriositycat, Apr 21, 2012.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    She started with six eggs and only two ended up developing past a week or two. Just now went outside & reached under her to see how the eggs were coming, and pulled out baby chickens instead!!!

She is such a sweet broody. She talks to me when I reach under her, but never protests much, and then when I put the eggs or babies back under her, she tucks them in place and goes back to brooding. Soooo sweet!

Anyway. I've hatched eggs in an incubator for several years, but this is my first time with a broody, and it's her first time ever, so I'm tickled that it went so well. Babies look healthy and vigorous and cute--both appear to be silver (she's silver and the rooster is blue). I'll post pics as soon as she brings them out to show the world.

Speaking of which--question--how much is it okay for me to mess with them while she's still sitting on them? She doesn't seem perturbed by it particularly, and goes right back to sitting on them when I put them back, but I'm hesitant to take them out more than the once I already have. Is it okay to take them out, snap photos, and then put them back? And how soon can the kids start handling them so they end up friendly and sweet like their mama?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. CorinneP

CorinneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Up State New York
    [​IMG]Congratulations !!! I was so Proud of My Maria !!! She is such a Gentle Girl she let me fuss a bit with the babies and pet her .. Take my pictures.. I didn't let the kids hold them but I did bring the babies out a bit for them to see .. My Son 14 who helps me and is like my Partner said He felt since she Loved me I should be the only one to mess around with her.. So We stuck to his plan. I don't know if she is such a Great little Mommy if she would have still tolerated more handling or not.. We didn't want to chance it .. Funny How Proud we are isn't it like we sat on those Eggs for three weeks our selves ! lol

3. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Totally!! LOL! K. I'm going out to grab a chick and snap a pic... I'm sure she'll be fine with it. So excited!

4. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    P.S. My girl's name is Moxie and she's a total keeper. She was my favorite chicken in her batch of babies right from the start. Just an absolute ball of adorable sweetness. Pictures coming...

5. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Guess what??????? I went out to take pictures, and while I was messing around under her I pulled out the egg shells:

[​IMG]

And something didn't quite look right. Hm. Remember how I said she was sitting on six eggs and four didn't make it? So there should only be two left, and I was pumped that they both hatched, right? So... how come...

[​IMG]

Apparently, I can't count. There are THREE babies under her. I had already found the two that look like this:

[​IMG]

And apparently there's also one under her that looks like this:

[​IMG]

Happy day! Celebration at my house!

6. MamaNini

MamaNini Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2012
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Have fun celebrating with your new chicks!! They are super cute!

7. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh, one more picture. The proud mama, darling Moxie:

[​IMG]

8. uptail

uptail Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Southern WV
    Woo hoo~!!!! Yay for your wonderful little mommy!!!

She did a beautiful job!!

9. CorinneP

CorinneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Up State New York
    Momma and chicks are sooo Adorable Congrats !!! [​IMG] I Have one pippin in the incubator right now I still get excited ! Even though I have 20 plus tiny ones around I get such a tickle out of watching them Hatch

10. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I love to see mother hens and chicks, my American game hen went broody for the first time last month and now she's got three 3 week old chicks climbing all over her. She started out with 7 eggs, but only 4 developed to pipping stage, and one died on the day of hatch, so 3 out of seven, that's good for a first time, I guess... [​IMG]

Those chicks are ADORABLE!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by