She did it!!!***PICS INCLUDED***

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JEB NC 10, Jul 4, 2011.

1. JEB NC 10

JEB NC 10 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    One of my Golden Comets saw it through and her clutch (of purchased fertile eggs) finally hatched. I set them under her 6/12 and the started to see our first chicks this past Friday night. 2 hatched Friday night....4 more on Saturday....and the last 2 finally arrived Sunday.....

Started with 13 eggs....1 got broken in the nest...I mistakening removed 1 while gathering eggs....so of the 11 that remained 8 hatched....I went ahead and opened the other 3 before burying them and it looks as though they stopped developing around the end of the 1st week....

So all in all, I guess that's not a bad hatch rate for momma hen's first time going broody. Started out with 3 GCs in March....adopted an Blue EE in May...and now we have tripled our flock with these 8 chicks...

Now I just need HELP in trying to assess pullets and cockerels!!!!! The flock the eggs came from is made up of Black Sex-Link, Barred Rocks, and RIR

I'm guessing the two yellow chicks will most likely be RIR...

Off the black chicks....some are solid black.....other's are black with light patches on the head - some defined some lesser defined patches....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    So cute!!! [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Congratulations! [​IMG]

4. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    yeah those 2 are rhodes and if you had black sex links then the females are not suppose to have a dot on the head and with BR if you look at the legs the females will have dark shading on the legs and males will have little to no shading thats how i sex my Barreds

5. JEB NC 10

Mar 13, 2011
    Floridachickhatcher - thanks for the sexing advice.

So you're thinking I have 2 RIRs. As for the black chicks - the ones with a solid black head should females, right? And the ones with with patches on their heads I need to look at the shading on the legs, right?

I'll take my best shot at it. If I was able to get you some decent pics of the legs, would you be willing to put your two cents as well? Its just that I'd like to figure out this sexing thing as soon as I can as I have to find homes for any Roos I may have. I may have to find homes for some pullets too, but I'd like to eliminate the possible Roos first.

If you're willing to give it a shot, you can PM me an email address and I can get you some pics tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks

6. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Hard to tell with the pics - but I don't think any of those chicked are barred rocks. They would be much more white on the black. IMO, all the black ones are black sex links meaning the males will have the white on the heads and the females will not.

They're very cute. Congrats!

7. Crabella

Crabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    does the coloration hold true for sexing a 2nd generation of sex-link chicks? I thought it only was true for the 1st generation cross.. or did i misread the OP's original post? Just wondering... 'cause I really don't know for sure.

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Egg from black sex link DO NOT PRODUCE SEX LINK CHICKS...only when bred from BR hens & RIR rooster

9. JEB NC 10

Mar 13, 2011
    Since some of the eggs could have easily come from a black sex-link hen and either a RIR or BR roo, the white patch on the head would not necessarily be indicative of a male or female, right?

I'd that's the case, would the leg coloring still be a possible way of successful sexing?

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:No you can't sex them like sex link.

Egg from a sex link hen , can't be sex by color, no matter which rooster was the father.

black sex link can only be produce by crossing the 2 breeds,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by