She flew the coop aka and then there were four ---SHE'S ALIVE!!!

Beau coop

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
WNY
I am freaking out because one of my girls "flew the coop". She wandered off and has not returned. I am heart sick, scared, and very angry with myself. I don't know what to do. I thought she would come back last night. Props to my husband who spent an hour outside with a flashlight trying to find her. She is a bantam RIR. There is NO WAY she survived the cold last night. There was FROST on the ground. I want to cry, throw up and any other bodily function I can throw in to the mix. So sad today, at work, want to go home and look for my peep. Can't type anymore cause I can't see the keyboard through tears.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry - I feel your anguish.
hugs.gif
She may very well be out there still - perhaps lost and not sure what to do. Search and search and search. You need daylight for this - I hope you can take time off work to look for her.
fl.gif
If there were sounds of treats coming that she was used to hearing - shaking of a bag of seed or whatever - replicate that as you search, as well as using your voice a lot. She may be closer or just as easily quite a bit further away than you may think, if she got lost and kept wandering, which could worsen by the hour. Do you have a roo whose crow she might hear? How long have you had her? Does she free range some of the time and know the area a bit? Does she have a name that she may respond to?
You needn't take any of your time to answer these here as I know you need to spend the time looking for her.
Sending hopes that the universe will protect her until you get to her.
JJ

She is 6 months old. It was low 30's last night here in Lockport NY. It is a northern suburb of Buffalo. Brrr...I am so glad you guys are here. Non-chicken people just DO NOT understand. The neighbors must have thought we were crazy last night, calling her, shaking treat container, flash lights in the woods.

I hope your right.

She had been acting a bit weird for the past few days. Three nights ago she and another RIR (I also have OEGBs) tried to roost on top of the coop. The coop is inside of their run. I had to literally pick them up and put them inside the coop- and they kept trying to get back out. I had to hold them in to close the door. Then on Sunday- she found an escape route- I still can't figure it out. Maybe she scooted out when I opened the door, but didn't notice? Unlikely but...

I let the others out to range and they all usually go to bed, I do a head count and close up for the night. She was still out past dark. I had to chase her to get her in the coop.

And then last night, gone. Maybe she is broody. Oh please let that be the case and that she will be back in the yard looking for food or water today.

She's alive!!!
yippiechickie.gif
And she didn't escape-Which I couldn't figure out how she could have.

Ok. The girls originally had a pophole door that open downward towards the ground, so they could use it as a ramp. Well, this past weekend DH made a vertically sliding door that is on a rope so it can be opened and shut from outside the run. The original door stays down/open now and the other door closes or opens the pop hole. Anyway she was UNDER the original door, now the ramp, between the ramp and the coop, sitting on eggs.

I guess I need to get her fertilized eggs asasp. Can she hatch eggs suc-cessfully in this weather -50's during day and 30's at night?

Thank you soooooo much for your support!!!

So glad you found her !!!! Sneaky hen !!!!! I live in NH and have a hen sitting on eggs, I'm going to let her try (the should hatch this weekend) I figure it makes her happy plus is a lot easyer than trying to "break" the broody cycle !!!! I figure I will put a heat lamp in the coop if it gets to cold, If your up for it let her try !!!!! How many eggs does she have ???

Back
Top Bottom