she got attacked by something... eye closed ,scalped

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dar, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I went into my coop the other day and noticed my hen walking into things. I picked her up and her eye is closed the eye ball is still there.. she is scalped, her comb is 90% gone. poor girl [​IMG]

I have brought her in the house she is in a dog crate on the table she a has our elderly cat to keep her company.. but I dont know if she will figure out where the food and water are.

I cut up some red peppers last night and put it on top of her feed and i noticed this morning they are gone but how do i get her to drink?

I have a vitamin booster in the water right now to help her through this.

2. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Aw, poor chick! D:

You need to clean her head, get some Neosporin or any other antiseptic, and make sure no dirt got in. Is her head bleeding? It might be an idea to also cut off the remaining bit of her comb if it's hanging around and could get caught on things. If she won't drink at all, try dabbing some water on her beak and in her mouth, see if she licks it off. You could try dripping some into her mouth too. Same with the food, smear a little on her beak.
    If she seems to be in pain, wheezing and scrunching the other eye up, a weak painkiller could help, such as baby aspirin, 55mg, or a quarter or less of a normal aspirin. Just pop it into her beak and hold it closed until she swallows.

Does she have some grit where you're keeping her?

Have you checked her eye isn't damaged?

Could you post a picture?

Good luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  3. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:everything else has been done.. cleaned her up neosporin is done... it looks like the closed eye is fine just swelling making it closed... she is eating but i cant tell if she is drinking the food i gave her was right from the coop and i put grit into their food as well as de and calcium i mix it all in a tub so she is fine in that regard. she does not look to be in much pain if any.. she is up and alert and walking around the crate the comb is now a pea comb and i will not trim it, thats not necessary its not hanging or dangling

4. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Quote:That's good. Well, then it's probably a matter of time. If she's eating she will probably be drinking too. Just keep her warm and visit her often, check for signs of deterioration or improvement. You could give her some scraps of vegetables or green leaves to keep her entertained, as she'll get lonely.

5. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    I am not sure if I out smarted the chicken of she has me trained.... I cut up a few grape tomatoes and some peppers and some leftover corn on the cob and she ate that.. so i know she has had some liquid...

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I bet she is managing to find the water especially if it is next to the food, but as you said she is eating fruit and veggies with liquid.

We had a hen who was scalped, and she healed up really well. She can only see out of one eye, but functions just fine.

Hope your hen continues to improve.

7. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Sounds like the other chickens might have done this? I'd hate to think of what a rooster could do but hens also.

8. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:we have a BAD coon issue.. hubby found an adult int he coop a few weeks back and a kit in the coop this past weekend... I think it was a coon. I lost her sister the same time she was injured

9. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    You gotta secure that coop more. Make sure there's no place coons can reach through and grab them in the roost. A scalp injury is definitely survivable. I'd clean it up and put some neosporine on it.

To get her to drink, I'd use a dropper and dribble it on top of the beak. Do a little bit, wait for them to sip, then continue. Add a pinch or two of jello powder (cherry or strawberry) because it'll encourage drinking (chickens love good sip-sips).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by