She has been trying to lay for 3 days

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dan455tx, Oct 17, 2011.

1. dan455tx

dan455tx Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    She is a Dark Cornish about 5 months old , this will be her first egg, she has been at it for 3 days, she walks around and squats through out the day.

Should I be worried?

Here is a video, the account belongs to my wife (shared) but I uploaded the vid.

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Is she docile? Would she let you soak her in a warm bath for a bit?

If not, try putting some KY jelly or petroleum jelly around her vent and just a little inside to see if you can lubricate the area and get the egg to slip out on its own.

Cuz it looks like she's doing a good job pushing.

3. dan455tx

Jul 13, 2011
    All my Dark Cornish are high strung, I will try the lubricating in the morning. Thank you

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Let me know how it goes.

5. MontanaChickenLady

MontanaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Beautiful Montana
    It took my Light Brahma 3 days to lay her first egg. It was difficult to watch her go through it because she seemed high strung and stressed.....not her normal self. She paced in the compound and would jump up into the coop, move things around in the nest and back down to the compound again. She ate and drank so I knew she was getting what she needed that way. Her comb and wattle were bright red and she panted a lot. After 3 days though she finally laid her egg and all was well. I didn't know about lubing her vent or I may have tried that. I was so excited about each chicken's first egg that I spent a lot of time out in the compound with them so was able to see everything going on. What an interesting process. Good luck to you and your chick chicks.

6. dan455tx

Jul 13, 2011
    update: I lubricated her vent, she is still squatting but she is eating and drinking, I read somewhere that it can take a week or more sometimes, I feel sorry for her, she pushes and you can hear her strain. When I picked her up I felt to see if she had a egg, I couldn't feel anything, I don't know what else to do other than watch her to make sure she is eating and drinking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by