She has quit laying altogether!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jessierose, Oct 11, 2009.

1. jessierose

jessierose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    Okay, so I got 4 RI Red "pullets" from a chicken sale. They were 9 weeks old. Once they were full grown, I realized 3 were roos.
    While I was trying to find homes for the extra 2 roos, the one hen started laying. She layed for about 3 weeks, about one egg a day. Occasionally, she skipped a day but was quite consistant.

Then, she stopped laying. I figured it was the extra roosters maybe were hurting her or making her not lay somehow. ???
    Well, I quickly got rid of the extra roosters and she still hasn't resumed laying. She is about 8 months old, I think. She looks well and eats well and seems healthy otherwise.
    What can I do? Will she be okay?

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Is she moulting? Most of mine recently took a break while they were moulting. Some of them just really slowed down, but I had two completely stop for nearly a month. They just started back up again last week.

3. jessierose

jessierose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    She hasn't layed one single egg in 9 weeks. That's too long for a molt, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by