1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

She has quit laying altogether!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jessierose, Oct 11, 2009.

1. jessierose

jessierose In the Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    Okay, so I got 4 RI Red "pullets" from a chicken sale. They were 9 weeks old. Once they were full grown, I realized 3 were roos.
    While I was trying to find homes for the extra 2 roos, the one hen started laying. She layed for about 3 weeks, about one egg a day. Occasionally, she skipped a day but was quite consistant.

Then, she stopped laying. I figured it was the extra roosters maybe were hurting her or making her not lay somehow. ???
    Well, I quickly got rid of the extra roosters and she still hasn't resumed laying. She is about 8 months old, I think. She looks well and eats well and seems healthy otherwise.
    What can I do? Will she be okay?

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Is she moulting? Most of mine recently took a break while they were moulting. Some of them just really slowed down, but I had two completely stop for nearly a month. They just started back up again last week.

3. jessierose

jessierose In the Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    She hasn't layed one single egg in 9 weeks. That's too long for a molt, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by