SHE is crowing but looks exactly like the other girls!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JenBirdRansom, Dec 29, 2011.

1. JenBirdRansom

JenBirdRansom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    Graham/Kapowsin, WA
    I'm confused, clearly. I have 3 silver laced wyandottes and they were all 3 raised together...but one of them sounds like she is crowing in the morning and sometimes a little through the day. I'm not allowed to have roosters and quite frankly I really don't want to attract any attention to my chickens. So, can a she sound like a he or can a he look like a she?

2. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Post a picture of her/him and we might be able to help you, what age is she/he?

3. jpcode

jpcode Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Sacramento
    Having had chickens since a kid, every once in a while you will get a gender confused chicken, they will have small combs and waddles and generally never lay eggs. I would not keep a loud chicken as I too live in a neighbourhood.

4. JenBirdRansom

Dec 23, 2011
    Graham/Kapowsin, WA
    She is 20 weeks....I'll go get a picture.

5. JenBirdRansom

Dec 23, 2011
    Graham/Kapowsin, WA
    The Offender:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm, looks like a pullet to me. If she gets loud, ya might hafta [​IMG]

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Looks like a pullet. Do you have a rooster? Sometimes a boss hen will go so far as to start crowing. I have a little bantam hen, proven hen, lays eggs, who moved out of the coop to live with another free range hen of mine. She has taken over rooster duties of their little flock of two and sits on the fence rail in the morning and does a darn good crow.

8. JenBirdRansom

Dec 23, 2011
    Graham/Kapowsin, WA
    No, no rooster. And this nutty girl needs to not be yapping all the time! Well, not all the time, but often enough where I keep looking out the window and thinking "Is that dang bird a rooster?"

Looks like I'll have to post an ad on Craigslist.....boooooo.

9. dakotasnake

dakotasnake Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    could be the rosie odonald syndrome. i had a S.L.W. that did the same thing. she eventually quit it tho

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by