She is driving me crazy UPDATE

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvchicks8, Sep 10, 2009.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    My EE hen who is now 24 weeks old is not laying although all the others her age have been since they were 18 weeks, Her face is not red and her comb and wattles have just started coming in. Why if she was hatched at the same time is she not laying or even looking she will any time soon??

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    My guess is because she is a living creature, not a machine. [​IMG] Just like ALL animals (yes, even humans), each individual develops at their own rate.

3. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I understand she is not a machine but she is developing alot slower and didn't know if I should be concerned she is not laying and developing alot slower.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have all one breed, all hatched the same day. First to lay did so at 19 weeks. The last two to lay were 38 weeks old when they started.
    I didn't "start" at the same time my sisters did. I didn't expect my chickens to start all at the same time either. [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Combs and wattles on an EE aren't that big. (at least not mine) I did notice right before she started to lay, the skin around her beak reddened. (like she was playing in the lipstick [​IMG]) Her comb always seemed to be light pink.

6. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Well it doesn't sound like I should be concerned about her developing, My other EE hens have quite the combs maybe she just won't get one as big. Thanks I have started to worry about her.

7. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:[​IMG] Ain't that the truth! lol

8. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I understand your concern (and FRUSTRATION)...I have a Danish Brown Leghorn that I don't think is laying yet...and she's over 30 weeks old! Leghorns are supposed to be great layers. I get 1-2 eggs from my 3...I don't think they're taking turns taking a day off, I really think there's one just not laying yet. I see her sit in the nestboxes, but she gets up and there's nothing under her. Sometimes I worry about her, but she seems completely healthy and happy otherwise.

9. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    She layed her first egg yesterday [​IMG] I guess she is just going to be smaller. Althoufg her egg color makes me guess her breed. I always though she is an EE hen but layed a large light brown egg? All my other EE hens lay green.

[​IMG]

10. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    EEs can lay any color egg. It is only true Ameraucanas and Araucanas that lay blue eggs.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by