she is finally laying ..but

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickengirlnm, Sep 7, 2007.

1. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    My girl Peaches has finally started laying !!! but I have a few questions that she is answearing so I thought I would ask all of you LOL

First problem we are having is that after she lays her egg she will turn look at it and then peck it, she is not eating them and she is not pecking hard enough for anything to spill out, just one little hole in the shell and she walks away, Is this normal in chickens who are just starting to lay? can you still eat the eggs? and will see stop after she has been laying awhile? she does not do this with every egg just a few.

The other question is how do I set the egg timer on her ? she has the oddest times of day that she will lay. sometimes its 10am other times it is somewhere around lunch.
    Hybby says that if you come to my house wanting fresh eggs for breakfast you are out of luck try around brunch LOL

sorry so long but Peaches will not answear me when I ask her what the heck is going on with her and since she is the only one old enough to lay this is new to me.

thanks
    Julie

2. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    I caught one of mine doing that and from what I've read here... try putting some golf balls and/or plastic easter eggs in the box. That helps encourage laying in the proper place as well as discouraging egg eating... it also blocked up a black snake that was taking one of the forum members eggs. lol!

3. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    I will try giving Peaches some"eggs" in her box-she lays pretty good in her box she has only had one egg outside her box , but the egg pecking thing is a problem since she only lays one egg a day i hate to lose the eggs she is laying, and since she is not eating them I hope she will stop after awhile.
    thanks for the idea about the easter eggs.

4. Nyna

Nyna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2007
    Western Montana
    I heard the golf balls worked best to discourage them from pecking at them because when they go to peck their beak kinda bounces off the ball and they don't like it! [​IMG]

5. chickengirlnm

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    well i told my hubby we need to get golf balls he gave me this look like "????" I told him that peaches is bored and needs to work on her game LOL
    thanks for the advice she laid her afternoon egg and i was able to get out there before anything happened to it.
    But i am getting her some golf balls tonight.

thanks !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by